Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Nuzum

Default Craftsman RAS upgrade and adjustment questions

I just purchased a used Craftsman RAS and reassembled it. I ordered and
received the package to do the recall upgrade for the guard and the table
but have yet to install any of that. I discovered that the motor is very
wobbly on the track and I know that needs to be remedied because it would
impact on all the other adjustments. My questions all related to when and in
what order I should do the adjustments.
The manual has a series of procedures to adjust the blade to the table,
etc, and the manual suggests a method to remove the wobbling by one of these
procedures. Then I have all the changes that come with the recall upgrade.
Is there a reasonable process to follow to install and adjust everything?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking
JeffB

Things need to be done in this order:
1) Install the new table parts. The new guard can wait, as the adjustments are
done with the guard removed.
2) Adjust the carriage bearings so there's no play as the motor moves on its track.
3) Do the adjustments in the order detailed in the manual.
4) Then do a series of test cuts (4 45 deg miters to make a square frame, 4
sides of a square and see if the last cut is parallel to the first) to see if
all the adjustments are OK.

Good luck!
--
JeffB