Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these pliers designed for?

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

Fair Radio has two original manuals for the TS-155 signal generator
on that page.

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=search&query=signal

TS-155,-A/UP IM-TS-155 2 SIGNAL GENERATOR TECHNICAL MANUAL $17.00 each

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

Fair Radio has two original manuals for the TS-155 signal generator
on that page.

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=search&query=signal

TS-155,-A/UP IM-TS-155 2 SIGNAL GENERATOR TECHNICAL MANUAL $17.00 each

Michael:

Maybe when I had my wisdom teeth removed they left my dumb teeth in, but
I don't see how your post answers the OP's question.

To the OP, can you read the name on those pliers and see if Google gives
you a clue?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

Fair Radio has two original manuals for the TS-155 signal generator
on that page.

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=search&query=signal

TS-155,-A/UP IM-TS-155 2 SIGNAL GENERATOR TECHNICAL MANUAL $17.00 each

Michael:

Maybe when I had my wisdom teeth removed they left my dumb teeth in, but
I don't see how your post answers the OP's question.

It was mentioned on another newsgroup, but didn't have a link to the
photo. The message was marked read, and deleted, so I couldn't reply to
it. The originals at Fair Radio were less than some dealers want for
bad photocopies.

To the OP, can you read the name on those pliers and see if Google gives
you a clue?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:00:08 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

What is the exact wording for the patent date?

Either that or a close up photo of that area. I can't quite
make out the numbers and didn't find anything guessing at
them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

What is the exact wording for the patent date?

Either that or a close up photo of that area. I can't quite
make out the numbers and didn't find anything guessing at
them...

US Patent: 738,444

A "Combined Pipe and Nut Wrench". See the following link for
the complete patent details:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=738444

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon
Thanks for the find. I can't find the tool as I stashed it somewhere
but it'll showup. These are pretty small and I assume he meant to make
larger ones except that he mentions it being a safe pocketable tool.
There's a U shaped slot which is a wire cutter that I didn't see
mentioned in the patent.
Anyone have a bigger pair?

--
Thanks & 73
Hank WD5JFR
news

wrote:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/wd5jfr/

What is the exact wording for the patent date?

Either that or a close up photo of that area. I can't quite
make out the numbers and didn't find anything guessing at
them...

US Patent: 738,444

A "Combined Pipe and Nut Wrench". See the following link for
the complete patent details:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=738444

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:35:03 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Leon
Thanks for the find. I can't find the tool as I stashed it somewhere
but it'll showup. These are pretty small and I assume he meant to make
larger ones except that he mentions it being a safe pocketable tool.
There's a U shaped slot which is a wire cutter that I didn't see
mentioned in the patent.
Anyone have a bigger pair?

To be truthful, not much work with the actual patent
number...

Here is another website that will provide you with a bit
more information:

http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent....444&typeCode=0

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the
description text.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:48:43 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Here is another website that will provide you with a bit
more information:

http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent....444&typeCode=0

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the
description text.

A bit more info from an auction page:

===
"0710. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - PAT DEC 15, 1896 - - 6"
Earliest model of the combination wrench and pliers (with
wire cutter, screwdriver, and tack puller) advertised as
"The Lightning Wrench". Patented by John F. Tiner ,
Sutherland Springs, Texas. Bright nickel-plate on this hard
to find smallest size. (not in Schulz, see Cope pg 168)

0711. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - - 7.25" slightly larger
model of The Lightning Wrench like above. Markings hard to
read. (not in Schulz, see Cope pg 168)

0712. WM. HJORTH JAMESTOWN N.Y. - PAT SEP. 8, 1903 - - - -
9.25" improved version of the lightning Wrench with
replaceable lower jaw inserts. Patented by Arthur W. Hjorth
of Jamestown. Minor dings, some markings hard to read) (not
in Schulz, see Cope pg 168)
===
Found here, about half-way down the long page:

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/ervin-a...8/catalog.html

and from another auction page:

===
1052. Lot of two:
(1.) Unmarked - - 12.25'' Hjorth Lightning Combination
Wrench with plier wrench, wire cutter, nail puller, pry bar.
Patented by (on 9-8-1903) and mfg. by Arthur Hjorth of
Jamestown NY.
(2.) WM HJORTH & CO. - JAMESTOWN, NY - PAT SEPT. 8, 1903 - -
9.25" Hjorth Lightning Combination Wrench like above but
with replaceable lower jaw insert.
===
Found he

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-au...7/catalog.html

You can try searching some more. Try using something like:

hjorth lightning wrench

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One problem with this tool is the lack of leverage because the fulcrum
is too close to the center and that may be why we don't see many. The
handles could have been longer. Mine have a claw for pulling tacks and
screw driver but screw driver blade tip is twisted because the metal
must be too soft.

--
Thanks & 73
Hank WD5JFR
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:48:43 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:56:50 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

One problem with this tool is the lack of leverage because the fulcrum
is too close to the center and that may be why we don't see many. The
handles could have been longer. Mine have a claw for pulling tacks and
screw driver but screw driver blade tip is twisted because the metal
must be too soft.

I find this a common problem with multi purpose tools. They might work
for several possible uses but only poorly and too poorly made to do
anything well except extract money from pockets.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

One problem with this tool is the lack of leverage because the fulcrum
is too close to the center and that may be why we don't see many. The
handles could have been longer. Mine have a claw for pulling tacks and
screw driver but screw driver blade tip is twisted because the metal
must be too soft.

I find this a common problem with multi purpose tools. They might work
for several possible uses but only poorly and too poorly made to do
anything well except extract money from pockets.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

My experience is that the more things a tool does, the less things it
does well...

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:53:23 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

snip
I find this a common problem with multi purpose tools. They might work
for several possible uses but only poorly and too poorly made to do
anything well except extract money from pockets.
Gerry :-)}

Multi-purpose tools are okay if used properly. I've had good
luck with my Leatherman Original. Sure beats going down
several floors, through security doors, to the service truck
and then back just to get a screwdriver to unhook a phone
wire

Now if I have to do some serious work, it is well worth
going after the proper tools.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Pliers in Texas javawizard Home Repair 5 March 6th 07 03:59 PM
Mystery Pliers The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 February 3rd 07 10:31 AM
wire twisting pliers mm Home Repair 7 November 20th 06 08:07 PM
Question about Klein pliers Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 21 June 10th 05 11:14 PM
Fencing pliers - use of ? Colin Wilson UK diy 12 March 16th 05 06:15 PM