Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strange fish-scale plastic needed

Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales,
all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales,
all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Sounds like an angled - bristle brush to me.
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/bristlebot

Who do we know that could make a brush, Tawm?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish
scales, all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze
and the fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table.
When you slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and
the block would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Look at who makes clothes brushes for removing "pilling". I think some of
these if not all are uni-directional. The pads look to be plastic & cloth
like glued to a plastic handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 01:52:07 -0500, Buerste wrote:

Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales,
all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

My mom's cross-country skis had sealskin strips for going up hill.

Might work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 4:11*am, _
wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 01:52:07 -0500, Buerste wrote:
...You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. *When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. *I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. *Any experience or ideas?

My mom's cross-country skis had sealskin strips for going up hill.

No-wax X-C skis have surfaces somewhat like this, but the scales are
solid like a ratchet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish
scales, all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze
and the fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table.
When you slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and
the block would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

This sounds a little like the gadgets made for removing lint from clothes.
They have little loops, like nylon monofilament line, and they all lie in
one direction.

When you push this "brush" in one direction, it digs into fabric a bit and
picks up lint. When you push it in the other direction, it just slides over.

You can find them in your supermarket or thread shop, for around $3 each.
The material may be something that's commercially available in quantities.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just use a fish....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 01:52:07 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales,
all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish
scales, all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the
gauze and the fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the
table. When you slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't
grab and the block would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Sounds like an angled - bristle brush to me.
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/bristlebot

Who do we know that could make a brush, Tawm?

--Winston

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean the
streets on the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Winston" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish
scales, all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the
gauze and the fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the
table. When you slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't
grab and the block would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

Sounds like an angled - bristle brush to me.
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/bristlebot

Who do we know that could make a brush, Tawm?

--Winston

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean the
streets on the way.

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are
funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 01:52:07 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

Imagine a sheet or strip of gauze cloth on a table. Imagine you have a
block of wood with a plastic material that has cuts in it like fish scales,
all going one way. You could slide the block one way on the gauze and the
fish scales would grab the gauze and move it along the table. When you
slide the block the other way, the fish scales wouldn't grab and the block
would just slide across the gauze.

Kind of a one-way clutch for gauze. I heard rumor that 3M made something
like this but can't find it. Any experience or ideas?

That material is common on the bottom of cross country skis. Perhaps
that will help you ?

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

(...)

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean the
streets on the way.

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are
funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

Go easy on my sistah, Jaques.

--Winnie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:35:17 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

(...)

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean the
streets on the way.

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are
funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

Go easy on my sistah, Jaques.

You and Tawm are a matched pair? Whoda thunk it? I'll be gentle.

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
(...) I'll be gentle.

Ewww!
I don't swing that way, buster.

--Winnie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

(...)

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean
the
streets on the way.

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are
funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

Go easy on my sistah, Jaques.

You and Tawm are a matched pair? Whoda thunk it? I'll be gentle.

Leave the bitch alone, spermchucker!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:26:31 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
(...) I'll be gentle.

Ewww!
I don't swing that way, buster.

Neither do I. I meant that in a verbal way, ya sicko.

Speaking of swinging that way, I once did a Google search for an
actress' name and accidentally found out that there was a porn star by
the exact same name. When I landed on her page, I found a lady
enamored of baseball bats. Both lower orifices had the affection for
them and the various pics showed them buried. It hurt just to THINK
about, let alone SEE. I'll never see a baseball bat again without
thinking of that loose lady. shudder Steeeerike three!

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 00:22:44 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

.. .

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:03:11 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

(...)

I drive a larger version to work every day! The city pays me to clean
the
streets on the way.

You wear gauze and drive a brush? Man, you Oh Aitch 10ers sure are
funny critters. Well, the lezes, anyway.

Go easy on my sistah, Jaques.

You and Tawm are a matched pair? Whoda thunk it? I'll be gentle.

Leave the bitch alone, spermchucker!

OK, I'll leave Winniepoo alone, but as to your last word: Not I! I've
shot blanks since I was 32.

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I once did a Google search for an actress' name and accidentally
found out that there was a porn star by the exact same name.

You too?

That happens to me *all the time*.

--Winnie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

OK, I'll leave Winniepoo alone, but as to your last word: Not I! I've
shot blanks since I was 32.

And I in my late 20's.
Best decision I ever made.

Improved my hobby immensely because it meant I could afford both
tools *and* metal.

--Winniepoo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:47:46 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I once did a Google search for an actress' name and accidentally
found out that there was a porn star by the exact same name.

You too?

That happens to me *all the time*.

Oh, that. Yeah, but this time I -wasn't- looking for that.

While looking for Amy Lee, fantastic singer for the band Evanescence,
I found Amy Lee, porn queen. (In case you want to make the same
mistake I did. wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean?

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
(In case you want to make the same
mistake I did. wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean?

Say no mwaaaah!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I once did a Google search for an actress' name and accidentally
found out that there was a porn star by the exact same name.

You too?

That happens to me *all the time*.

Oh, that. Yeah, but this time I -wasn't- looking for that.

While looking for Amy Lee, fantastic singer for the band Evanescence,
I found Amy Lee, porn queen. (In case you want to make the same
mistake I did. wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean?

It was only a mistake the first time you did it. ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

CRT Puzzler, strange behavior, help needed wndrful Electronics Repair 10 February 26th 08 06:58 PM
Strange Plastic Box lagman Home Repair 3 December 19th 07 04:04 PM
FISH SCALE WOOD BURNING TIP J T Woodworking 0 April 20th 07 03:10 AM
strange taste and smell from kettle like melted plastic Nospam UK diy 1 February 12th 07 03:33 PM
Needed: read head for older mini Acu-Rite scale david Metalworking 1 September 5th 03 03:35 AM