Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More mill tools !

My buddy BilltheMachinist called the other day . Said I should come see him
, he had something I might want .
He did .
I rode away with a hexing and squaring set , complete with 5C collets up to
an inch . Clamp one on the mill with stops on x and y , turn round stock
into squares or hex a special bolt head ...
--
Snag
Appeasing my Inner Tool Slut ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:01:05 -0500, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

My buddy BilltheMachinist called the other day . Said I should come see him
, he had something I might want .
He did .
I rode away with a hexing and squaring set , complete with 5C collets up to
an inch . Clamp one on the mill with stops on x and y , turn round stock
into squares or hex a special bolt head ...

Corngrats, Snag. Now WTF are those? Are we talking 'bout the likes
of 202-5170 and 202-5181 here, or regular round collets plus an add-on
for the mill? http://www.archcity.net/cutters_r8tooling.html

--
Snag
Appeasing my Inner Tool Slut ...

Damn, I love (and can identify with) that sig line.

Something from email yesterday which you might enjoy:

--snip--
Just Fred

A cop stops a Biker for traveling faster than the posted speed limit,
so he asks the biker his name.

"Fred," he replies.

"Fred what?" the officer asks.

"Just Fred," the man responds.

The officer is in a good mood and thinks he might just give the biker
a break and, write him out a warning instead of a ticket. The officer
then presses him for the last name.

The man tells him that he used to have a last name but lost it. The
officer thinks that he has a nut case on his hands but plays along
with it. ''Tell me, Fred, how did you lose your last name?''

The biker replies, ''It's a long story, so stay with me.'' I was born
Fred Dingaling. I know -- a funny last name. The kids used to tease me
all the time, so I stayed to myself, studied hard and got good grades.
When I got older, I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. I went
through college, medical school, inter nship, residency, and finally
got my degree, so I was Fred Dingaling, MD. After a while I got
bored being a doctor, so I decided to go back to school.

Dentistry was my dream! Got all the way through school, got my degree,
so then I was Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS. Got bored doing dentistry, so I
started fooling around with my assistant and she gave me VD, so now I
was Fred Dingaling, MD, DDS, with VD. Well, the ADA found out about
the VD, so they took away my DDS. Then I was Fred Dingaling, MD, with
VD. Then the AMA found out about the ADA taking away my DDS because of
the VD, so they took away my MD leaving me as Fred Dingaling with VD.
Then the VD took away my Dingaling, so now I am just Fred.''

The officer walked away in tears, laughing.
--snip--

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
My buddy BilltheMachinist called the other day . Said I should come
see him , he had something I might want .
He did .
I rode away with a hexing and squaring set , complete with 5C
collets up to an inch . Clamp one on the mill with stops on x and y
, turn round stock into squares or hex a special bolt head ...

Collet blocks?
RR

I'm guessing that's what you'd call them . One is square , one is hex ,
both are machined to accept a 5C collet . Clamp them to the mill table (I'll
probably use the vise , it's already squared to the bed) against stops on
two axes , make round stock either square or hex . Bill doesn't always tell
me what the "proper" name of a tool is ... but he's damn good at explaining
how to use them !
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:28:00 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Randy Replogle wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
My buddy BilltheMachinist called the other day . Said I should come
see him , he had something I might want .
He did .
I rode away with a hexing and squaring set , complete with 5C
collets up to an inch . Clamp one on the mill with stops on x and y
, turn round stock into squares or hex a special bolt head ...

Collet blocks?
RR

I'm guessing that's what you'd call them . One is square , one is hex ,
both are machined to accept a 5C collet . Clamp them to the mill table (I'll
probably use the vise , it's already squared to the bed) against stops on
two axes , make round stock either square or hex . Bill doesn't always tell
me what the "proper" name of a tool is ... but he's damn good at explaining
how to use them !

================
click on
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=891-6015
5-C collet block chucks.
also
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...ctID=3900-1620

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy Replogle wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Yup , that be them . Not at a really gloat-worthy price , but since I got
several collets too , I'm not unhappy .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"