Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this tool for?

The local used refrigerator store had a cleanup the other day and put
some things out in front marked "free".
I brought home this tool because it looked like it may be useful.
It's made by the Watsco Co. who is listed as a maker of refrigeration
tools but I couldn't find anything about it.
It has two cutting blades made of steel rule die stock that can be
angled.
There is a backup pad made of some sort of fibre.
Any ideas about what it's for?
Engineman

http://www.photoworks.com/members/engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erngineman wrote:
The local used refrigerator store had a cleanup the other day and put
some things out in front marked "free".
I brought home this tool because it looked like it may be useful.
It's made by the Watsco Co. who is listed as a maker of refrigeration
tools but I couldn't find anything about it.
It has two cutting blades made of steel rule die stock that can be
angled.
There is a backup pad made of some sort of fibre.
Any ideas about what it's for?
Engineman

http://www.photoworks.com/members/engineman

I couldn't quite make out the US Patent number on the photo showing it.

If you'd put that number into a Google patent search you'll likely get
your answer.

I spent a few minutes fiddling with your image trying 2493517 and a few
other guesses, but didn't pull up anything like your pictured tool.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erngineman wrote:

The local used refrigerator store had a cleanup the other day and put
some things out in front marked "free".
I brought home this tool because it looked like it may be useful.
It's made by the Watsco Co. who is listed as a maker of refrigeration
tools but I couldn't find anything about it.
It has two cutting blades made of steel rule die stock that can be
angled.
There is a backup pad made of some sort of fibre.
Any ideas about what it's for?
Engineman

http://www.photoworks.com/members/engineman

You can tell for sure that I've got too much time on my hands today.....

Here 'tis, and it IS a reefer tool:

http://tinyurl.com/5sq5bz

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:46:09 -0400, the infamous Jeff Wisnia
scrawled the following:

erngineman wrote:
[...]

Jeeze, Jeff. I thought you just got new glasses. g

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2493513.pdf
I clicked the Play Fullscreen button on engineman's page and found the
original patent photo. Free login, no spam so far.

It looks like a Matsco product. Nevahoiduvit.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erngineman wrote:
The local used refrigerator store had a cleanup the other day and put
some things out in front marked "free".
I brought home this tool because it looked like it may be useful.
It's made by the Watsco Co. who is listed as a maker of refrigeration
tools but I couldn't find anything about it.
It has two cutting blades made of steel rule die stock that can be
angled.
There is a backup pad made of some sort of fibre.
Any ideas about what it's for?
Engineman

http://www.photoworks.com/members/engineman

Looks like a notcher for corners on sheet metal to bend up the sides