Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF Pounding.....

Awl --

Finally got up the nerve to phone in my HF order, and goodgawd, now I know
why I postpone these things....
Man, do they *pound* you!

Price clubs, magazines, g-d credit cards, sheeit, I was waiting for the
""free cruise"" to HF-land.

Plus, I got this lady with such a strong southern twang -- not a drawl, but
a twang, and bleeve me there's a big diff -- it made my teeth hurt. I
didn't know iffin I was going last for the whole order.

Inyway, the shipping is humane, and most of the prices matched, which is a
miracle, given the chaos of their catalog.

But I gotta say, a HF order is literally man-hours of work!
I'm glad it's over. I'm fairly exhausted.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

Awl --

Finally got up the nerve to phone in my HF order, and goodgawd, now I know
why I postpone these things....
Man, do they *pound* you!

Price clubs, magazines, g-d credit cards, sheeit, I was waiting for the
""free cruise"" to HF-land.

Plus, I got this lady with such a strong southern twang -- not a drawl, but
a twang, and bleeve me there's a big diff -- it made my teeth hurt. I
didn't know iffin I was going last for the whole order.

Inyway, the shipping is humane, and most of the prices matched, which is a
miracle, given the chaos of their catalog.

But I gotta say, a HF order is literally man-hours of work!
I'm glad it's over. I'm fairly exhausted.

I went to the local HF yesterday, where I ran into a guy sent to
straighten out the store, & improve sales. I had a very interesting
talk with him about product quality, and what they are doing to improve
things. I told him the things I've seen on this newsgroup, and others
about the problems people have reported. We talked about their website,
and ways to improve it, including the ability to check stock at a local
store, online. He told me the some of the stores had already started
replacing their older display items, so it matches what's in the
cartons, and that all the old display items, and returns are shipped to
one store where they are tested & sold at a discount. Badly damaged
items are sold by the pound, as well.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:29:57 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

Awl --

Finally got up the nerve to phone in my HF order, and goodgawd, now I know
why I postpone these things....
Man, do they *pound* you!

Price clubs, magazines, g-d credit cards, sheeit, I was waiting for the
""free cruise"" to HF-land.

Plus, I got this lady with such a strong southern twang -- not a drawl, but
a twang, and bleeve me there's a big diff -- it made my teeth hurt. I
didn't know iffin I was going last for the whole order.

What dialect of Ameringlish do you portray with your phonetic
spelling? You're obviously in Noo Yawk but I don't see Noo Yawk in
your phonetics.

I'd guess Ebonic as a wild guess?

Ordering something from Bass Pro in MO can be a trip. Tellyawhut ol'
Son, the folks of either gender that answer those phones know their
stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It's "N'Yawk".... HF Pounding.....

wrote:

Awl --

Finally got up the nerve to phone in my HF order, and goodgawd, now I know
why I postpone these things....
Man, do they *pound* you!

Price clubs, magazines, g-d credit cards, sheeit, I was waiting for the
""free cruise"" to HF-land.

Plus, I got this lady with such a strong southern twang -- not a drawl,
but
a twang, and bleeve me there's a big diff -- it made my teeth hurt. I
didn't know iffin I was going last for the whole order.

What dialect of Ameringlish do you portray with your phonetic
spelling? You're obviously in Noo Yawk but I don't see Noo Yawk in
your phonetics.

Not to be picky, but it's "N'Yawk" -- one sillyble, albeit a dipthonged
sillyble.

And speaking of being picky, methinks you should redirect yours.... toward
the 7/8 of yer semi-literit, economic-theory ignerint, and corrupt Congress,
and the 50% of our pres. candidates (kin you guess which 50????) who still
say "nukyooler", or, even worser, "nukuhler".
goodeffinggawd....

Noam Chomsky et al must have to walk around with ear muffs on, or watch the
news in mute, with the sub-title thingy on.... I know I do....

My HF sales associate made my teeth hurt with her twang -- legislators, and
some Princeton puhfessors, who *still* say "mouf" and "teef", positively
loosen my fillings. goodgawd....

Illiterits determining world policy.... and *my* future.... or lack
thereof.

What I want to know is, what dialect does Bush speak and where did it come
from?
His parents were certainly well-spoken.
Ahm thinkin it's the liquor. It's like listening to Jesse Jackson, or a bad
tape recording, where every 3rd or 5th word/syllable is dropped.
It's like listening to a crossword puzzle.

I'd guess Ebonic as a wild guess?

Hey, Ebonics was good enough for the CA school system -- yo.
Remember?
Yes indeedy.
Not sure if it was under Gov. Moonbeam Brown, or after, but it was one
linguistic hoot. Nuthin like recruiting current gang members for future
seats in Congress, eh??

Soon, I suspect, NY rappers will be singing -- I mean, rappin -- the
National Anthem.

Also bear in mind that Merka is still -- essentially the only nation on
earth -- without an oh-ficial language!
If certain factions get their way, Congress may be holding sessions in
Spanish.

And I really don't care, because my fluency in espanol waxes/wanes with the
company I keep anyway, so it really don't make a diff to me.

But, you should be well aware that this linguistic anarchy is merely the tip
of the anarchistic iceberg being foisted on the Great Merkin Pubic, to
*guarowntee* a fractured (m)ass, which in turn ensures that no one in power
will be held accountable -- for anything.
Except for being blown, be it in a White House or an airport bathroom.

And if you think this economic mess is holding anyone accountable, think
again. What it is is that Rich Joe lost money cuz of Rich John's
shennanigans, and Rich Joe is a li'l ****ed -- it has *nothing* to do with
us or your foreclosed compadres.
In fact, **** your foreclosed compadres, in essence.

When the dust settles on this mess, it will be Bidniss As Usual, sed bidniss
being the everyday (orchestrated and choreographed) ****ing of the (m)asses
in their asses.
Which is not strange at all, since we so willingly pull down our pants.

And I have proof:

What's the latest hot movie?
I personally don't know, but I know there are bevies of them -- like fukn
Ironman'n'****.

Go to your local mall/movie theatre for the opening of any of these movies,
and I'll bet the machine of your choice in my shop against a donut that the
line *wraps around the effing parking lot*, like it always did.

Except this time, half the people on line just had their retirements cut in
half, or are losing their homes, or are pulling barely-literit Jonny out of
community college.

But, dey's still on line f'dey movie, aren't they?????? Pouring out of dey
SUVs, no doubt.

A li'l linguistic license/fun is the least of your worries, I would think.

Ordering something from Bass Pro in MO can be a trip. Tellyawhut ol'
Son, the folks of either gender that answer those phones know their
stuff.

As long as they don't pound me, I'll be happy.
Since one generally has to choose one or the other, I'll take integrity over
competence any day.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:38:39 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

My HF sales associate made my teeth hurt with her twang -- legislators, and
some Princeton puhfessors, who *still* say "mouf" and "teef", positively
loosen my fillings. goodgawd....

Chuckle...how do you think you sounded to the Sales Associate?

If you live in the New York metro area...Ill garrrontee that your
accent makes a whole bunch of folks teeth itch, eh?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A li'l linguistic license/fun is the least of your worries, I would think.

Absolutely! I can speak Minnesotan, Iron Rayncher, and Yooper
fluently. Hoo, golly Toivo, wouldn't TAT get the HF lady yoo betcha!
I could one do Scottish well enough to fool an American though it
wouldn't have fooled a Glaswegian.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

My HF sales associate made my teeth hurt with her twang -- legislators,
and
some Princeton puhfessors, who *still* say "mouf" and "teef", positively
loosen my fillings. goodgawd....

Chuckle...how do you think you sounded to the Sales Associate?

If you live in the New York metro area...Ill garrrontee that your
accent makes a whole bunch of folks teeth itch, eh?

Well, the bell curve applies to culture as much as SATs, so just apply sed
curve to 8+million oblivious NYC mutha****as.

And then *skew* the curve waaaaayyyyy to the left.....

I happen to have a PA "accent", really region-neutral.

Here's a ditty:

Merkins are positively enraptured with Bri'ish blokes, esp. on
misInformercial TV.

What they don't realize is that a good number of these blokes are
Cockney/Liverpudlian refugees, who are just one step above the homeless on
the social ladder, and speak as such.

They make John Travolta (T 'oe-nny) in Sat. Nite Fever sound like an effing
Rhodes scholar.
And we gobble it up. It's hilarious.

Recall Churchill:
The best argerment against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the
average voter.

Fess up Gunner:
Dollars to donuts YOU say "nookyooler/nookuhler", right?
No shame, dude, 7/8 of our Congress puts you in eeleete company.

The only diff is, THEY have no excuse, AND our elected illuminary illiterati
(yes, repubs AND dems) are/have been leading us to slaughter since Lincoln
in iliterit bliss.

I'm never happy about being sodomized in my half-dozen or so orifi, but if I
must be sodomized (and apparently I must), let it be by someone who at least
has a higher GPA than I got, ferchrissakes.

To be sodomized by an ignerint-assed mutha****a with a 2.0 gpa -- and who
cheated/bribed to get that -- for 8 solid years just doesn't allow me heal
or rest, ever.

Another 4 years with butt *another* C avg mutha****a is now getting it all
in my hair -- and I *really* hate that.

Thank god none of the 4 candidates say "mouf" and "teef".
Altho Palin comes close, yo. She makes my teeth hurt AND makes me cramp. I
*physically* cannot watch her. No foolin...

There is a very high correlation between the inability to speak properly and
the inability to think properly.

Oddly, tho, there is also a very high correlation between those who do speak
properly and *still* can't think properly.

I cain't figger it out.....

Mebbe iffin we elected some of these Cockneys/Liverpudlians....

--
PV'd DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote in message

snip

Thank god none of the 4 candidates say "mouf" and "teef".
Altho Palin comes close, yo. She makes my teeth hurt AND makes me cramp.
I *physically* cannot watch her. No foolin...

I heard that she put on an "eastern" accent one day in Florida. Did you
happen to hear it? I tried a couple of video clips and didn't pick it up.
Maybe they mean East Anchorage.

Meantime, if you want to take your phonological synapses for a spin, listen
to this (you don't have to watch. g). This is Sarah speaking on occassions
about ten years apart. Notice particularly Mayor Palin speaking near the end
of the tape. Then you decide -- is the Fargo routine all a put-on?

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/accent-test-is.html

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote:

Recall Churchill:
The best argerment against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the
average voter.

It doesn't take 5 minutes with some of our congress critters. Cynthia McKinney any one?
Former Mayor of Detroit, ect.

Buckley, may he rest in peace, had a quote about picking a certain amount of people out of
the Boston phone book to govern being better than the facility at Harvard.

I'd rather take my chances with the common citizens rather than those groomed to be
leaders by the ivy league colleges. Real people have a grip on reality. By the time you
have amassed enough fortune and power to get elected to Congress you have lost touch with
the common man.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 01:39:55 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"DrollTroll" wrote:

Recall Churchill:
The best argerment against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the
average voter.

It doesn't take 5 minutes with some of our congress critters. Cynthia McKinney any one?
Former Mayor of Detroit, ect.

Buckley, may he rest in peace, had a quote about picking a certain amount of people out of
the Boston phone book to govern being better than the facility at Harvard.

Y'mean "faculty"?

I'd rather take my chances with the common citizens rather than those groomed to be
leaders by the ivy league colleges. Real people have a grip on reality. By the time you
have amassed enough fortune and power to get elected to Congress you have lost touch with
the common man.

And that's only IF you ever had any touch with common man. Too many
of these effers were bred into wealth and have never known what the
common man even was. big sigh

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"DrollTroll" wrote:

Recall Churchill:
The best argerment against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the
average voter.

It doesn't take 5 minutes with some of our congress critters. Cynthia
McKinney any one?
Former Mayor of Detroit, ect.

Buckley, may he rest in peace, had a quote about picking a certain amount
of people out of
the Boston phone book to govern being better than the facility at Harvard.

And therein proly lies the true solution, altho it will never come to pass:

A lottery of governance, if you will, almost like a jury system, where
citizens at random are "drawn" to govern -- at least in part, or at least to
serve as watchdogs with true veto power.

Buckley was making a play, I think, on monkeys picking stock or throwing
darts at a dartboard with random stocks, being more effective than your
effing stockbroker.

I'd rather take my chances with the common citizens rather than those
groomed to be
leaders by the ivy league colleges. Real people have a grip on reality.
By the time you
have amassed enough fortune and power to get elected to Congress you have
lost touch with
the common man.

Education is good, grooming/training is good.
But indeed, this is all nullified by the inherent corruption in the
selection process, and in the nature of power itself.

Which is sort of what makes high-IQ'd leaders even more dangerous than, say,
a Bush or a Palin: By dint of the fundamental corruption in the leadership
process, high-IQ enables an even deeper, more insidious ****ing of the
pubic.

In a sense, we are better off with a Bush or a Palin.
Kinda like having a sniper with astigmatism shooting at you.
But ultimately, it dudn't matter, as Government has turned out to be just a
shill for Big Special Interests.
The Pres/VP are just the Head Shills.

But ultimately, look at *us*.
You almost cain't blame the powers-dat-be for fleecing the pubic,
painting/ass****ing them into an economic corner.

In the eyes of the "leadership" and the other Masonic powers-dat-be, a true
and equitable democracy before a RealityTV-watching, celebrity-worshipping,
and thrill-seeking Pubic is essentially casting pearls before swine.

Pogo: We have met the enemy and they is us.

Indeed.

Really worthwhile to read about Pogo/Walt Kelly in wiki -- a true american
hero, who really put his ass on the effing line at the height of the
McCarthy error.

The Pogo Swamp-Speak was, apparently, the model for homey-speak and
Bush-speak.
Ackshooly, homey-speak is a little more comprehensible and more logical than
Bush- (and Rice-) speak. Homey-speak is essentially a silly contrived
jive, whilst Bush-speak is the true dialect of idiocy, the vernacular of the
imbecilic.

Pogo commenced in the same decade that Orwell wrote 1984 ('40s !), which
seems odd, given the WWII "euphoria", making their propheticness even more
remarkable.

The phrase "Big Brother" and "Big Brother is watching you" came directly
from Orwell -- probably the most significant 20th century contributions to
english vernacular, altho many would cite William Gibson's 1982 coinage of
"cyberspace".

Clearly, tho, the notion of cyberspace unimaginably amplified Orwell's
notion of Big Brother.

The recent turn of economic events is in fact Orwellian -- altho you'd have
to go back to 1995 or so to really see it.

From 1995 on, you had an economic school of Bears, who, by 2005, were pretty
clearly confirmed as a bunch of doomsday idiots with deep psychological
problems stemming from poor mothering.

But what they were saying was quite prophetic:
This can't be real. This can't be real.
For a decade they were saying this, and couldn't figger out why such a
contrived bubble hadn't already burst.

But, our hands eventually became numb to the handling of such a very hot
potato. Accelerated wealth was being treated as a given.

1995, 96, 97 were the last years you could buy affordable urban/metro
housing. Prices were becoming unreal even then.
The housing crisis actually started then. It went on for so unbelievably
long that the hot potato just didn't seem hot anymore.

HGTV made it seem *normal* for 22 y.o. newly-wed couples to be buying
$750,000 art-deco condo's -- all 875 sq ft of it, including the terrace.

We believed Big Brother, who keeps a summer condo on Wall Street.

Someone remarked in a recent thread here or on amc that mebbe *now*, people
who fukn MAKE things, tangible things, will get their due. Hopefully, but I
still doubt it. The Pubic is already too mind****ed.

It's odd to me that people who make things, fix things, have their feet
apparently on the ground, will still fellatio -- with glee -- those who make
our lives so miserable with paper, fiction, bogus concepts.
Often just because they are republican. Or democrat. Or whatever.

Gunner comes to mind.

How many people can't retire now?? How many retired people will have to go
back to work, to pay their real estate taxes, if nothing else??

Well, there might be one silver lining to this whole mess:
We might all start losing a lot of weight!

--
PV'd DT

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote:

[...]

Excellent point.
But, they know what the common man is *for*:
To be fished out of a barrel.

--
DT

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give
without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
-- George Sand

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Will the real Sara Palin please stand up. What she's putting on and what
she's really like should be pretty easy to find out. I mean, what's the
chance that she's been putting on an act all these years she's been in
Alaska? She may be doing what the McCain campaign wants right now but to me
she sounds like a typical country bumpkin. I guess that appeals to the
republican base, them being bumpkins, but it's a rerun of Bush and his
ignorance being attractive to the masses. It worked once but not any more. I
think she'd be a lot better off trying to come off as a competent and
intelligent politician than an average dummy. But then I am not an expert on
how to sell a product to the right wing voter.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Buckley, may he rest in peace, had a quote about picking a certain amount of people out of
the Boston phone book to govern being better than the facility at Harvard.

Y'mean "faculty"?

Cut me a break, confusing the staff of Harvard with the poo room is a common gaff.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Buckley, may he rest in peace, had a quote about picking a certain amount of people out of
the Boston phone book to govern being better than the facility at Harvard.

Y'mean "faculty"?

Cut me a break, confusing the staff of Harvard with the poo room is a common gaff.

Definitely! There is no reason to insult an innocent restroom!