Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.J. is going to prison

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:37:36 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Do you believe it to be fair that the driver in an armed robbery,
where someone is killed, either a victim, or a robber....is charged
with and convicted of murder?

He only sat outside with the motor running.......

Yes or no?

Depends on the case. There could be a number or incriminating or
mitigating factors.

Try this hypothetical situation. I'm in South California. I hire a car
and stop by your shop. You tell me your truck is broken down. Can I give
you a lift into town? You ask me to wait while you go into the bank. You
go in, try to rob the place unsuccessfully, shoot a guy, and then leave,
get in the car and tell me nothing. Is it fair if I'm later charged with
murder?

You're charged if the prosecutor feels there is sufficient evidence to
convict. You are not convicted unless and until a jury also finds
you guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Their reasonable doubt, not
yours. (!)

If you are a notorious bad actor with a history of association with
criminal activity, this could well affect a jury's attitude.
Repeatedly defy society at your own peril. I think that's fair. You
may disagree, but fair or not it's how things work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I have a few reservations about the elected district attorney system.
Obviously they're tempted to press charges which are popular, and these
charges aren't necessarily the fairest or most consistent.

Having said that, I think I've probably created enough off-topic posts
with this thread, so I'll try to call it a day now.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:48:59 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

I have a few reservations about the elected district attorney system.
Obviously they're tempted to press charges which are popular, and these
charges aren't necessarily the fairest or most consistent.

They press cases they think they can win. The outcomes are determined
by juries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a few reservations about the elected district attorney system.
Obviously they're tempted to press charges which are popular, and these
charges aren't necessarily the fairest or most consistent.

They press cases they think they can win. The outcomes are determined
by juries.

I just think they pushed this latest O.J. case too hard, but I'm sure
there are plenty who disagree. The zeal of the prosecution seemed out of
proportion to what happened.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a few reservations about the elected district attorney system.
Obviously they're tempted to press charges which are popular, and these
charges aren't necessarily the fairest or most consistent.

They press cases they think they can win. The outcomes are determined
by juries.

I just think they pushed this latest O.J. case too hard, but I'm sure
there are plenty who disagree. The zeal of the prosecution seemed out of
proportion to what happened.

Chris

Chris..if Id been in that hotel room, and armed men broke in waving
guns...there would have been dead intruders for the police to put
those nifty chalk outlines around.

You break in and start waving guns around..folks might take you
seriously

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 05:47:47 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I have a few reservations about the elected district attorney system.
Obviously they're tempted to press charges which are popular, and these
charges aren't necessarily the fairest or most consistent.

They press cases they think they can win. The outcomes are determined
by juries.

I just think they pushed this latest O.J. case too hard, but I'm sure
there are plenty who disagree. The zeal of the prosecution seemed out of
proportion to what happened.

Yes, the "Damn, we're finally going to be able to nail this murdering
son of a bitch!" feelings were no doubt present. But they prosecuted
in accordance with the _evidence_ they had.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003