Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What does the current economic crisis mean to US metal industry?

What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:55:45 GMT, "Noone@home"
wrote:

What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?

I think its far too soon to tell.

One should note that while the stock market dropped some 500-700
points that day..its already starting to go back up

so far, any losses have been paper losses for most investors.

Me..Im stocking up on canned goods, reading material and stockpiling
fuel.

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Noone@home" wrote:

What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?

Well we are dumping people and working 32 hr weeks next month.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

I just got some of this, haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=11&pg=2

About half way down the page, if you buy 1200 rounds, $510, shipping
is free.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:59:33 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox

Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov
nicely

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:16:54 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox

Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov
nicely

Sportsmen's Guide has non-corrosive Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 for
my SKS at $99/500. Corrosive Romanian in a spam can is $117. All are
steel, non-reloadables. Have you bought brass for your SKSes before,
then reloaded?

Maybe Jim can stretch this stuff to fit. g

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox

Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov
nicely

I used that corrosive 7.62x54 ammo a lot and still have some left. It
is corrosive indeed. However, by now that ammunition is very old and
gives plenty of duds. Okay for range practice, but not so good for any
real life "situation". I would say that my practice was 10-20% of
duds.

Sportsmen's Guide has non-corrosive Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 for
my SKS at $99/500. Corrosive Romanian in a spam can is $117. All are
steel, non-reloadables. Have you bought brass for your SKSes before,
then reloaded?

Maybe Jim can stretch this stuff to fit. g

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:44:07 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?

I think its far too soon to tell.

One should note that while the stock market dropped some 500-700
points that day..its already starting to go back up

so far, any losses have been paper losses for most investors.

For most B-)

It wasn't the market hiccup which sent the price of WaMU down
another 90%. That was good old fashioned Corporate Screwups (with
help from the Government).
Nothing from Washington will help now.

Me..Im stocking up on canned goods, reading material and stockpiling
fuel.

Hmmm, yep. sounds good. I'm unpacking reading material - could
use some of that for heat in a pinch.

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Just a case.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"

Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox

Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov
nicely

I used that corrosive 7.62x54 ammo a lot and still have some left. It
is corrosive indeed. However, by now that ammunition is very old and
gives plenty of duds. Okay for range practice, but not so good for any
real life "situation". I would say that my practice was 10-20% of
duds.

Awesome. maybe you can fire a round into a plugged barrel next.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Im already good to go on ammo, etc etc..."just in case"
Know any good deals on 7.62x51 NATO?

There isnt any. It all went to the Sandbox

Now 7.62x54....its pretty cheap by the spam can and fits a Dragonov
nicely

I used that corrosive 7.62x54 ammo a lot and still have some left. It
is corrosive indeed. However, by now that ammunition is very old and
gives plenty of duds. Okay for range practice, but not so good for any
real life "situation". I would say that my practice was 10-20% of
duds.

Awesome. maybe you can fire a round into a plugged barrel next.

It would be metalworking at least....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Awesome. maybe you can fire a round into a plugged barrel next.

It would be metalworking at least....

Unless you are firing from a fortified position, you are not going to get to shoot that
much before being taken out by the government.

Now ammo would be an excellent barter item though.

Uncle built reloading dies for a 50/70 or some sort of odd cartrige recently. Sounds like
he has a buddy with an oldie that wants to touch it off.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:56:16 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Awesome. maybe you can fire a round into a plugged barrel next.

It would be metalworking at least....

Unless you are firing from a fortified position, you are not going to get to shoot that
much before being taken out by the government.

Now ammo would be an excellent barter item though.

Uncle built reloading dies for a 50/70 or some sort of odd cartrige recently. Sounds like
he has a buddy with an oldie that wants to touch it off.

Speaking of oldies, a couple years ago, I went out to the range during
the Machine Gun Shoot day and one guy had built a matchlock rifle out
of an old Vulcan barrel. He cast the 20mm lead balls himself and
"touched it off" with a rope of real hemp. He got lots of interesting
looks from the folks downwind, myself included. I ended up shooting
the thing. Great fun "plinking" with a 20mm instead of a .22! The
second-long time delay with the fuse and the flashpan was a kick, too.

I'm wondering when it's going to be illegal to shoot the soft-tipped
Wolf ammo here in Oregano. They're already illegal in CA due to the
lead content, I believe.

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
--------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:56:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'm wondering when it's going to be illegal to shoot the soft-tipped
Wolf ammo here in Oregano. They're already illegal in CA due to the
lead content, I believe.

It must be a real bummer to have to go back to DU :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:36:36 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I'm wondering when it's going to be illegal to shoot the soft-tipped
Wolf ammo here in Oregano. They're already illegal in CA due to the
lead content, I believe.

It must be a real bummer to have to go back to DU :-)

Yeah. g

At least that depleted Uranium is safer than the DREAD TOXIC _lead_
stuff. Oh, my! shudder

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

It must be a real bummer to have to go back to DU :-)

Can you cast that stuff at 1000F? I actually googled a bit but melting temps didn't
seem to show up. (Not really considering it, just curious)

Wes