Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT. -really- OT, fatwa issued against.... Mickey Mouse

So much for 'peace and tolerance'.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...597638,00.html

Rumor has it Porky Pig is taking no chances and has gone
into hiding....

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a week or two ago, there was a short thread about stupid arabs and a
Fatwa against mickey mouse - well, when things sound really stupid,
sometimes they are just plain false. So, having some good friends who
are genuine arabs and would at least be interested in this thing, I of
course asked. I am putting the response (with names removed) below -
I believe my friend - he has no reason to make up any of this -

the moral here, for those who are inclined to listen, is that there is
a lot of bad stuff said about people and groups of people, and much of
it is just plain nonsense - please be skeptical.

================================================== ================================================== ==

You guessed right, I saw the video clip and compared the translation
with what he said.
This sheikh is originally from Syria, lived most of his life in Saudi,
and worked for some time in the Saudi embassy in USA, he is currently
well known in KSA.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BmgFQiaYEdk&feature=user

Here is the inaccurate translation:
"Mickey Mouse has become an awesome character, even though according
to Islamic law, Mickey Mouse should be killed in all cases," Al-
Munajid tells the interviewer.

Here is what he was trying to say:
The sheikh answered a questing by starting in reminding listeners that
Mice are known to be a menace, and a corrupter that is not to be taken
lightly and should be exterminated, and that our children should be
educated and aware of that, and regardless of how much fame this
animal has gained thru the cartoon character "Mickey Mouse and Jerry";
Islamic law allows the killing of this mouse in all casese.

Now; regarding the "all cases" statement, we as Muslims know that
there are certain times and locations were a Muslim should not kill
any creature on purpose, including stepping on insects, but there are
exceptional creatures, and the mouse is one of those exceptions.
It is important to note that he was not stating any Fatwa as some of
the websites are falsely claiming, Fatwa is a serious thing but in his
case he was reminding the listeners about techings from the Islamic
culture.

I was surprised from the impact this interview made on the internet,
it attracted me to spend a considerable time reading about it.
My opinion is "what a waste of valuable time from all aspects",
especially that all this was based on an inaccurate translation and
misperception, and regarding this interview with the sheikh, I'm
asking myself, "Aren't their more serious issues to discuss on such TV
programs?".

Regards,
xxxxx.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

bill wrote:

a week or two ago, there was a short thread about stupid arabs and a
Fatwa against mickey mouse -

I don't recall saying Arabs are stupid, though they are just
as capable of doing stupid things as anyone else.

I'll take your friends interpretation at face value, though
overall I have little reason to trust anyone of that faith.
The track record for radical Islam attacking all things
western is pretty well established. Nothing about that
article stood out to me as being far fetched.

Jon

Where's My Mouse? Jack Home Repair 7 November 28th 05 06:34 PM
Getting rid of Mouse Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Repair 29 October 5th 05 08:10 AM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 04:59 PM