Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tooling Supplier Ideas?

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:48:57 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Have not bought new custom, but have had custom bits made elsewhere
re-sharpened by them. So, your mileage may vary...
http://www.boggstool.com/WebSpecialToolSectionGood.htm

FWIW they did an excellent job for a reasonable price.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

Where would you get it in the US? Maybe the same suppliers are here
too.

Is it a step-drill / Unibit style, or am I reading it wrong?

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-2674/KLEIN-TOOLS-59001T-Titanium/Detail

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario. (100 miles west of Mississauga)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wrote:

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

How thick is the material being drilled?

Sounds like a Unibit would work if the workpieces are thin enough (which
could be 6 mm on some unibits).

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Joe,

Where would you get it in the US? Maybe the same suppliers are here
too.

Unibits and clones are widely available. MSC sells them, as do most
industrial supply houses, and some local hardware stores.

Is it a step-drill / Unibit style, or am I reading it wrong?

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-2674/KLEIN-TOOLS-59001T-Titanium/Detail

Yep, that's one of the clones (or rebranded Unibit).

They *really* like lubrication while cutting, especially if one is
cutting stainless steel.

Joe

wrote:

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

If the Unibit style is what you want, then ANY good supplier here in
Ontario, especially Toronto/Mississauga/Oakville area will do. Any/all
of the better electrical wholesalers will handle Klein tools, and of
course KBC Tools, Travers, even Canadian Tire or Princess Auto
(equivalent to Harbor Freight). Lots of places.

Torbram Electric is a Klein Tools distributor
7270 Torbram Road, (is their Head Office)
Mississauga, Ont.
Phone: 905-671-0800

KBC Tools, Toronto Branch
is actually in Mississauga, at
6200 Kennedy (not far from the Toronto Airport)
1-905-564-6600

Travers operates in Canada out of Quebec (fairly good quality)
1-800-503-0843

Canadian Tire (not my best suggestion for quality) is a retailer and
is guaranteed to be somewhere with-in 2 or 3 miles of wherever your
customer is in Mississauga. They have LOTS of stores!!

Not too sure where Princess Auto might be there, but of this short
list they will be the most economical supplier of a for sure Chinese
clone.

Take care. Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:49:34 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-05, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Hmm ... this sounds like a metric version of a Unibit. I wonder
if they make them in metric steps? There are versions in 1/16" steps,
and other versions with three target dimensions (for conduit fittings,
IIRC), and a bunch of smaller steps joining them.

O.K. Google took me first to:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/59021.html

which has various ones which will combine two of your desired diameters
in one tool, but skip over a third of the diameters.

But perhaps they can make a special?

Here is another maker -- starting at 6mm, hitting 8mm, 10mm, and
again bracketing your desired 15mm with 14mm and 16mm.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100145

Perhaps a custom grind to take the 16mm step down to 15mm?

All this depends on whether each diameter has to protrude a
certain distance beyond the next, or whether this is simply for making
three different sizes of holes in sheet metal without a tool change.

Anyone know a good source for such custom tooling? Round shank tooling with
a 0.750" or smaller shank please... If it matters.

Klein seems to hold the trademark name on the Unibit -- and they
make both metric and the original inch sizes, so maybe they can make a
special for not too much extra cost -- depending on whether the depth of
each step needs to be controlled.

Volume is low to medium on this special, simple tool.

Understood.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2008-09-05, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm
and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill.

Hmm ... this sounds like a metric version of a Unibit. I wonder
if they make them in metric steps? There are versions in 1/16" steps,
and other versions with three target dimensions (for conduit fittings,
IIRC), and a bunch of smaller steps joining them.

O.K. Google took me first to:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/59021.html

which has various ones which will combine two of your desired diameters
in one tool, but skip over a third of the diameters.

But perhaps they can make a special?

It doesn't look that hard to make one's own special unibit from O1 steel.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:17:48 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Hmm ... this sounds like a metric version of a Unibit. I wonder
if they make them in metric steps? There are versions in 1/16" steps,
and other versions with three target dimensions (for conduit fittings,
IIRC), and a bunch of smaller steps joining them.

O.K. Google took me first to:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/59021.html

which has various ones which will combine two of your desired diameters
in one tool, but skip over a third of the diameters.

This is the traditional step drill, which I think is what Joe is
looking for:
http://www.marshalldrills.co.uk/imag...l-drawings.gif
http://www.doorandwindowparts.com/im...s/L/L-5628.jpg

It seems the term has been appropriated to refer to Unibit type drills
as well.

--
Ned Simmons

#50 NMTB tooling available Jon[_4_] Metalworking 0 July 3rd 08 06:57 PM
101 Ways To Make Extra Cash - Business Ideas - Money Making Ideas vasu Home Repair 0 April 20th 08 05:28 AM
101 ways to make extra cash - business ideas - money making ideas ... vasu Home Repair 0 April 10th 08 07:23 PM
Tooling supplier in Chicago area RDF Metalworking 9 October 6th 07 04:40 AM
Tooling up for SMT Z Electronics Repair 5 May 20th 04 07:36 PM