Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where do I buy ..........

SteveB wrote:

I'm trying to set up a setup to maintain my pool cues. Mainly replace worn
or broken tips. Some cues are two piece, and I have a long 5/16" bolt with
1" of threads on it that I cut the head off, and can chuck into a drill to
spin the shaft once it is threaded on the stub. Other cues I have are one
piece fiberglass or wood, and the butt end is about 1" in diameter. The
shafts are about 14mm, as I buy 14mm elkhide replacement tips. The tips are
oversize and must be put on with superglue and a special clamp overnight.

Then the shaft or the whole cue must be spun fast so I can take sandpaper
and shave off the excess hide to make the tip exactly the size of the
ferrule it sits on.

I need some rollers that I can make up a stand to hold these while I spin
them. I would like some round rollers approximately 1" in diameter with
rubber or neoprene on them where they touch the cue. Ball bearing innards
would be nice. That would be for the half sticks I chuck up to a drill. On
the full shafts, I'm going to have to make one of the wheels a drive wheel
to spin the whole stick.

Is there any supplier that handles all sorts of these small widgets that one
would make a Rube Goldberg contraption like this out of? How about supply
houses? Maybe an RC plane hobby shop where they may have small wheels like
that?

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Steve

A guy in my metalworking club turns wooden pipes (for bagpipes) on a metal
lathe, using a steady rest which uses roller skate wheels as the contact
points. I would think some of those would do you nicely.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) uses roller skate wheels as the contact
points. I would think some of those would do you nicely.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a steady rest on my wood lathe which uses four roller blade wheels.
It is set up so the wheels can run in a single plane, or, by reversing two
of the arms, they can be staggered. The latter arrangement lets me come
down and steady very small diameters. This is probably the way you would
work on pool cues. Roller blade wheels have very good ball bearings, since
they have to support a person's weight, plus impact loads. If you look
around you can find used ones for next to nothing (or actually nothing.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:15:16 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Roller blade wheels with a section of inner tube stretched over the
face?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:42:17 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Grant, Leo & Gerald have made exactly the same suggestions that I
was going to do.

The only thing I can add is that you may be able to get roller
blades from your local FreeCycle group, that is where I got mine for
my home made steady rest.

Another possibility is using plain ball bearings covered with
rubber to prevent marking the cues.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 1:42 am, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
[...]

http://www.smallparts.com/ may have what you're looking for.

Daved
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 27, 11:42*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
[...]

Instead of driving the wheels, how about using a rubber/leather/cloth
drive belt on the cue shaft directly? Ala stone-age wood lathe. Then
all you have to have is a couple of sets of wheels for the shaft to
turn in and a flexibly pivoted motor to drive the belt.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I'm trying to set up a setup to maintain my pool cues. Mainly replace worn
or broken tips. Some cues are two piece, and I have a long 5/16" bolt with
1" of threads on it that I cut the head off, and can chuck into a drill to
spin the shaft once it is threaded on the stub. Other cues I have are one
piece fiberglass or wood, and the butt end is about 1" in diameter. The
shafts are about 14mm, as I buy 14mm elkhide replacement tips. The tips are
oversize and must be put on with superglue and a special clamp overnight.

Then the shaft or the whole cue must be spun fast so I can take sandpaper
and shave off the excess hide to make the tip exactly the size of the
ferrule it sits on.

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Steve...

A long time ago I watched a guy re-tipping pool cues. He glued the new
tips in place just as you describe, but once the new tips were in place
and the clamps removed, he took a very different approach...

He rigged up a table/fence on a bench sander and rested the cue on the
table and held it against the fence while he turned the cue by hand to
remove the excess tip.

I didn't watch closely, so don't remember all the details of his setup,
but I do remember that he did a lot of cues in not very much time.

Perhaps this approach might make your job easier.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar