Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Where do I buy ..........

SteveB wrote:
I'm trying to set up a setup to maintain my pool cues. Mainly replace worn
or broken tips. Some cues are two piece, and I have a long 5/16" bolt with
1" of threads on it that I cut the head off, and can chuck into a drill to
spin the shaft once it is threaded on the stub. Other cues I have are one
piece fiberglass or wood, and the butt end is about 1" in diameter. The
shafts are about 14mm, as I buy 14mm elkhide replacement tips. The tips are
oversize and must be put on with superglue and a special clamp overnight.

Then the shaft or the whole cue must be spun fast so I can take sandpaper
and shave off the excess hide to make the tip exactly the size of the
ferrule it sits on.

Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Steve...

A long time ago I watched a guy re-tipping pool cues. He glued the new
tips in place just as you describe, but once the new tips were in place
and the clamps removed, he took a very different approach...

He rigged up a table/fence on a bench sander and rested the cue on the
table and held it against the fence while he turned the cue by hand to
remove the excess tip.

I didn't watch closely, so don't remember all the details of his setup,
but I do remember that he did a lot of cues in not very much time.

Perhaps this approach might make your job easier.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar