Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does deburring tool work?

I have deburring tool, with replaceable blades. The blade has a grove
in it and the tool has a ball to engage the groove:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/deburr.jpg

It would seem that the collar would be spring loaded against the ball &
one would change cutters by pulling back the collar, releasing pressure
on the ball & freeing the cutter. BUT, my collar's spring pushes it
*away* from the ball, as shown in the pic. Pulling it forward to the
ball bottoms out before pushing on the ball.

Am I missing something, or is it broken?

Thanks,
Bob
--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Bob,

Yep....it's broken.

I suspect that somehow the "spring" got on the wrong side of its
catch, and so it pulls instead of pushing.

Not much good the way it is, so have a go at sliding it right off the
end, even if you have to force it. Maybe you can make a collar to
fasten to the shaft, and pt the spring out where it is visible but
pushes.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:47:25 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have deburring tool, with replaceable blades. The blade has a grove
in it and the tool has a ball to engage the groove:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/deburr.jpg

It would seem that the collar would be spring loaded against the ball &
one would change cutters by pulling back the collar, releasing pressure
on the ball & freeing the cutter. BUT, my collar's spring pushes it
*away* from the ball, as shown in the pic. Pulling it forward to the
ball bottoms out before pushing on the ball.

Am I missing something, or is it broken?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When one is whipping the tool across an edge - you don't want to
bump the nose of the holder and let go of that functional expensive
cutter on the floor. Reverse direction was implemented to keep the
worker working.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have deburring tool, with replaceable blades. The blade has a grove
in it and the tool has a ball to engage the groove:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/deburr.jpg

It would seem that the collar would be spring loaded against the ball &
one would change cutters by pulling back the collar, releasing pressure
on the ball & freeing the cutter. BUT, my collar's spring pushes it
*away* from the ball, as shown in the pic. Pulling it forward to the
ball bottoms out before pushing on the ball.

Am I missing something, or is it broken?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does deburring tool work? - Update

Brian Lawson wrote:
I suspect that somehow the "spring" got on the wrong side of its
catch, and so it pulls instead of pushing.

Not much good the way it is, so have a go at sliding it right off the
end, even if you have to force it. Maybe you can make a collar to
fasten to the shaft, and pt the spring out where it is visible but
pushes.

That's it, alright. I did force it off, mangling the spring in the
process. The spring was stopped by a ring in a groove on the shaft.
How it got to the other side of the ring is a mystery. I had a spring
the exact same size in my junk box & reused the ring as a stop.

The problem then was to keep the collar from going off the end of the
shaft. Originally it was crimped & the ring stopped it. I put a teeny
tiny dot of MIG weld on the end of the shaft as a stop. Not as good,
but there was no way that I was going to be able to re crimp that collar!

It works now.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are kits available with a new handle and blades, usually cheaper than
refill blades cost, and you get the handle for free.

The freebie handle may not be as nice as your current one, so you'll want to
pay attention to what is being offered.

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
I have deburring tool, with replaceable blades. The blade has a grove in
it and the tool has a ball to engage the groove:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/deburr.jpg

It would seem that the collar would be spring loaded against the ball &
one would change cutters by pulling back the collar, releasing pressure on
the ball & freeing the cutter. BUT, my collar's spring pushes it *away*
from the ball, as shown in the pic. Pulling it forward to the ball
bottoms out before pushing on the ball.

Am I missing something, or is it broken?

Thanks,
Bob
--
Nota for President

Anyone using the Work Sharp 3000 tool sharpener ? John Horner Woodworking 9 January 23rd 08 12:42 AM
Deburring Conduit (EMT) dicko Home Repair 16 January 19th 08 05:14 AM
fa: very cool power deburring tool William Noble Metalworking 6 September 25th 07 03:18 AM
Deburring copper pipe PM UK diy 45 March 13th 06 08:25 AM
Deburring while clamped - help???? Bill Schwab Metalworking 24 December 22nd 05 08:52 PM