Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threshermans Show Aug. 14-17th

http://www.americanthresherman.com/i...r_aug_2008.pdf

I'm planning on going tomorrow, Saturday, there's always lots of hit-n-miss
engines, steam engines, maytag engines, home machined model engines, etc.
Also the have sorgum and apple butter making and selling. Lots of old
tractors and traction engines from huge to riding mower size. Always a lot
of neat stuff for sale, tools, tractor parts, old engines...

And, it's less than 15 miles from home :-) If I don't forget the camera,
I'll take some pictures and post them.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:09:16 -0500, RogerN wrote:
http://www.americanthresherman.com/i...r_aug_2008.pdf

I'm planning on going tomorrow, Saturday, there's always lots of
hit-n-miss engines, steam engines, maytag engines, home machined model
engines, etc. Also the have sorgum and apple butter making and selling.
Lots of old tractors and traction engines from huge to riding mower
size. Always a lot of neat stuff for sale, tools, tractor parts, old
engines...

And, it's less than 15 miles from home :-) If I don't forget the
camera, I'll take some pictures and post them.

Another Illinois show like that was last week in Oblong, about a 3
hour drive northeast of Pinckneyville. A couple decades back when
I lived in Robinson, I drove over to the show a couple of times, and
remember pretty well when they ran this little diesel (2 cyl. 14"
bore, 17" stroke): http://oldtacomamarine.com/fairbanks/oblong.html

IIRC, the hit-n-miss near the front of the trailer is about 5 HP
and runs an air compressor that fills the big tank between it
and the diesel. The air is used to turn over the diesel when
starting it up.

-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

http://www.americanthresherman.com/i...r_aug_2008.pdf

I'm planning on going tomorrow, Saturday, there's always lots of hit-n-miss
engines, steam engines, maytag engines, home machined model engines, etc.
Also the have sorgum and apple butter making and selling. Lots of old
tractors and traction engines from huge to riding mower size. Always a lot
of neat stuff for sale, tools, tractor parts, old engines...

And, it's less than 15 miles from home :-) If I don't forget the camera,
I'll take some pictures and post them.

RogerN

I'll be here today. http://www.buckleyoldengineshow.org/

Sounds similar. Have a good time Roger,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyOldeEngineShow/2008/

Pictures of some of the things that I found interesting.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:38:14 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyOldeEngineShow/2008/

Pictures of some of the things that I found interesting.

'Splain please: DSC03708_VGA.jpg, 709, 717, 719.

Hey, Gunner was there in his new truck: 737!

The 757 mini-tractor was pretty cool, too. Thanks for sharing.

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Splain please: DSC03708_VGA.jpg, 709, 717, 719.

They are resurecting an early REA power plant.
http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyO...03710_VGA.html

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:52:38 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Splain please: DSC03708_VGA.jpg, 709, 717, 719.

They are resurecting an early REA power plant.
http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyO...03710_VGA.html

That URL must be overwhelmed as I can't get in today. Neat pics, all.

I figured that the first bunch were the meters and control panels for
the power plant, but I wanted more info. I saw the knife switches in
the latter group and wondered what the tape-wrapped jobs--which looked
like batteries or capacitors--were.

Bruce?

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

That URL must be overwhelmed as I can't get in today. Neat pics, all.

I figured that the first bunch were the meters and control panels for
the power plant, but I wanted more info. I saw the knife switches in
the latter group and wondered what the tape-wrapped jobs--which looked
like batteries or capacitors--were.

Bruce?

It seems to be up now. Don't know what is up with godaddy. Maybe they didn't pay their
bill

I'd love to learn a bit more about the components. If bruce wants the high rez photo(s)
to look at I'll gladly email or put them up were he can grab them.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:38:14 -0400, Wes
wrote:

http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyOldeEngineShow/2008/

Pictures of some of the things that I found interesting.

Thanks Wes, maybe someday I'll make it to that show in
person. Till then this is 100 percent more than I've seen
before

You shouldn't be too far away from Hartwick Pines in
Grayling. I visited their "Black Iron Days" maybe 10 years
ago. I thought it was pretty good. From what I could dig up
it looks like it is coming up next weekend this year.

"Hartwick Pines State Park Hosts Annual Black Iron Days

Contact: Craig Kasmer 989-348-2537
Agency: Natural Resources

August 13, 2008

The Michigan Forest Visitor Center and Hartwick Pines
Logging Museum today announced its annual Black Iron Days
will be held Aug. 23-24 at Hartwick Pines State Park,
northeast of Grayling.

This is the largest annual gathering of blacksmiths in
Michigan, normally with more than 50 of these craftsmen and
craftswomen plying their trade. On Saturday and Sunday, from
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., enjoy the sights, sounds and scents of
the historic sawmill cutting logs into pine boards and
listen to traditional music played by "The Cousins Music
Group." There will be hands-on activities for children of
all ages and demonstrations by woodworkers, weavers and wool
spinners..."

See:

http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,1607,7...8155--,00.html

The campground was packed when I went. Got lucky and secured
a canceled site early Saturday morning. It would be worth a
day trip though if you are into blacksmithing type stuff too
(aren't we all to some extent or another

All I had to pay was State Park admission fee (and
campground if you plan on staying).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://garage-machinist.com/BuckleyOldeEngineShow/2008/

Pictures of some of the things that I found interesting.

Thanks Wes, maybe someday I'll make it to that show in
person. Till then this is 100 percent more than I've seen
before

Always glad to share.

You shouldn't be too far away from Hartwick Pines in
Grayling. I visited their "Black Iron Days" maybe 10 years
ago. I thought it was pretty good. From what I could dig up
it looks like it is coming up next weekend this year.

That sounds interesting. Hope I don't have to work. Fourth full weekend in August for
those that want to put a note in their electronic planners.

I'm about 42 miles from it. Depending on work and other commitments, I will try to take
it in. If not this year, there is next year.

Thanks for the tip,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

This is the largest annual gathering of blacksmiths in
Michigan, normally with more than 50 of these craftsmen and
craftswomen plying their trade. On Saturday and Sunday, from
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., enjoy the sights, sounds and scents of
the historic sawmill cutting logs into pine boards and
listen to traditional music played by "The Cousins Music
Group." There will be hands-on activities for children of
all ages and demonstrations by woodworkers, weavers and wool
spinners..."

I headed out to it today but the skies looked really bad so I turned back and worked on
putting my lathe together. Then the rain came, boy does that garage get hot with the
doors closed while I struggled with getting the drive motor back into the base.

I set a note for next year.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:29:31 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

This is the largest annual gathering of blacksmiths in
Michigan, normally with more than 50 of these craftsmen and
craftswomen plying their trade. On Saturday and Sunday, from
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., enjoy the sights, sounds and scents of
the historic sawmill cutting logs into pine boards and
listen to traditional music played by "The Cousins Music
Group." There will be hands-on activities for children of
all ages and demonstrations by woodworkers, weavers and wool
spinners..."

I headed out to it today but the skies looked really bad so I turned back and worked on
putting my lathe together. Then the rain came, boy does that garage get hot with the
doors closed while I struggled with getting the drive motor back into the base.

I set a note for next year.

I saw that via radar echoes. It looked like your area got
hit pretty good. No such luck here. We are bone dry. Maybe
..05 inch was all that I found in the rain gauge. Barely more
than nothing at all. We haven't seen any decent rain since
late July.

The blacksmithing, crafts and sawmill stuff is held back by
the old logging camp, in case you've been there before. Not
a whole lot of shelter close by if you need to make a run
from inclement weather.

Much nicer temps today

--
Leon Fisk