Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Decorative groove

How would you go about cutting a decorative groove in a piece of
aluminum?

I'm talking about a groove that is around .125" wide or so and just
deep enough so that it will be a nice visible indentation, without
filling up with paint,,,,so probably .100" to .125" deep.

I may end up with a 6063 aluminum bar I want to do this with but also
wondering for something like this, what type aluminum would suffice --
or be best?

5052, 3003 common type would be nice....and my 6063 perhaps.

I really want this to look nice....as good as a route in wood, with
clean crisp edges.

Problem is, a CNC doesn't really do something like this, so I may have
to do it myself.

The grooves won't be long....2 of them per piece about 3" long each.

Appreciate any help. (not speculation, but thoughts from folks that
have actually done it).

THANKS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mkr5000 wrote:
How would you go about cutting a decorative groove in a piece of
aluminum?

1/8" square or ball stub end mill, 2 passes.

I'm talking about a groove that is around .125" wide or so and just
deep enough so that it will be a nice visible indentation, without
filling up with paint,,,,so probably .100" to .125" deep.

Unless you're planning to paint it with a hose, I wouldn't go deeper
than 1/16" (unless you're doing art deco).

I may end up with a 6063 aluminum bar I want to do this with but also
wondering for something like this, what type aluminum would suffice --
or be best?

5052, 3003 common type would be nice....and my 6063 perhaps.

What would suit your application best?

I really want this to look nice....as good as a route in wood, with
clean crisp edges.

Problem is, a CNC doesn't really do something like this, so I may have
to do it myself.

Eh? Why not?

The grooves won't be long....2 of them per piece about 3" long each.

A Roadrunner posting host doesn't provide much clue as to your location,
but you're invited to stop in and we can do the job on my CNC router.
E-mail ahead and bring your aluminum stock. Even with coffee and BS, it
shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes. :-)

Appreciate any help. (not speculation, but thoughts from folks that
have actually done it).

Don't make a hard problem out of an easy one. ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 15, 1:25 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
mkr5000 wrote:
[...]

If it is a contour shape use a 3/32 or 1/8" dia. endmill in a wood
router and run it along a template. A semicircular shaped groove also
looks nice and you can achieve this with a 3/16" or 1/4" diameter
ballnose endmill at appropriate depth.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You know, I'm sitting here stupified that I didn't follow through with
my metal fab guy because he
told me they couldn't do it on the CNC.

I think it's because he wants to do the entire part with a laser and
doing the groove would be a seperate maching operation.

I need to start over and have the part quoted as a CNC route only
maybe.

The part has (4) rounded corners so maybe thats the problem -- they
like cutting that with a laser?

I'll figure it out -- certainly some shop can do it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm thinking of buying a new woodworking router today for my Sears
router table.

Any suggestions? Especially considering occasional projects like
this?....routing aluminum.

Are they making any variable speed routers?........maybe something
like that would come in handy for metal?

Just use a carbide tip bit, right? Maybe a bit of lubrication?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 9:50*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a new woodworking router today for my Sears
router table.

Any suggestions? Especially considering occasional projects like
this?....routing aluminum.

Are they making any variable speed routers?........maybe something
like that would come in handy for metal?

Just use a carbide tip bit, right? * *Maybe a bit of lubrication?

If the router has a universal motor you can slow it down with a
dimmer, or a Variac like I do, if you have one. A universal motor is
listed for 120VAC or DC. Don't do it to an AC-only motor. I routed an
awkward job last week with a light-weight laminate trimmer running on
50VAC.

Milling a shallow groove around a corner isn't easy. I asked the CNC
programmer what his Hurco mill could do easily and -then- designed the
grooves, which in that case ran straight off the curved edges of the
panel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a new woodworking router today for my Sears
router table.

Any suggestions? Especially considering occasional projects like
this?....routing aluminum.

porter cable if costs are important.
Are they making any variable speed routers?........maybe something
like that would come in handy for metal?

pc makes variable speed routers.

Just use a carbide tip bit, right? Maybe a bit of lubrication?

yes. yes, although getting lubrication to stay on a bit going 20k rpm may be
challenging.