igor

Default how to cut a groove around a dowel?

I want to cut a 1/8" deep, 3/4" wide (long) groove around a 3/4" dowel. I
have a TS and a BS, as well as a basic set of chisels, but not a lathe. I
am looking for advice for an effective AND safe way to do this. TIA. --
Igor
Toller

I would use a router table, though I would use really small cuts to prevent
it from becoming a missle.

A drill press (with what, a file?) might work if your dowel was short
enough.

Mike Marlow

"Guess who" wrote in message

Drill a hole in a large square block of wood to fit the dowel.
Insert, and use the wood block as the guide against the miter guage to
run it over the raised [just enough] table saw blade so as to take a
cut out of both. You'll need a block on the table as a guide if the
cut is well along the dowel. Otherwise drill the hole just deep
enough. Rotate the dowel in the hole as you are cutting. not the
best, but relatively safe and will do the job. Measure on the outside
of the dowel to move in and out to cover the 3/4" width.

Close to what I was going to suggest. I'd forgo the wood block though.
Simply lay the dowel in the front of the miter gauge and pass it over the
blade, rotate it at the high point of the blade. Of course, it does depend
on how long the dowel is. Too short and this idea doesn't work.

--

-Mike-

max

You can drill a 3/4 hole through some plywood glued up to 5 or 6 inches
thick and drill a hole through the edge at right angles to the dowel. Use a
template guide on the router and insert it through the hole. Plunge the
router and turn the dowel with a clamp to route the groove. You can add
stops to the dowel so you get the correct width of groove.

max

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:03:59 GMT, igor wrote:

I want to cut a 1/8" deep, 3/4" wide (long) groove around a 3/4" dowel. I
have a TS and a BS, as well as a basic set of chisels, but not a lathe. I
am looking for advice for an effective AND safe way to do this. TIA. --

Drill a hole in a large square block of wood to fit the dowel.
Insert, and use the wood block as the guide against the miter guage to
run it over the raised [just enough] table saw blade so as to take a
cut out of both. You'll need a block on the table as a guide if the
cut is well along the dowel. Otherwise drill the hole just deep
enough. Rotate the dowel in the hole as you are cutting. not the
best, but relatively safe and will do the job. Measure on the outside
of the dowel to move in and out to cover the 3/4" width.

You might have ot experiment with the first cut, raising the blade
slowly after checking each cut to get the right depth.

When finished, count your fingers and get a lathe.

Alternative... do you have a router/table?

Duane Bozarth

Mike Marlow wrote:

"Guess who" wrote in message

Drill a hole in a large square block of wood to fit the dowel.
Insert, and use the wood block as the guide against the miter guage to
run it over the raised [just enough] table saw blade so as to take a
cut out of both. You'll need a block on the table as a guide if the
cut is well along the dowel. Otherwise drill the hole just deep
enough. Rotate the dowel in the hole as you are cutting. not the
best, but relatively safe and will do the job. Measure on the outside
of the dowel to move in and out to cover the 3/4" width.

Close to what I was going to suggest. I'd forgo the wood block though.
Simply lay the dowel in the front of the miter gauge and pass it over the
blade, rotate it at the high point of the blade. Of course, it does depend
on how long the dowel is. Too short and this idea doesn't work.

Just do it on the dowel before cutting it to length...

I'd use a guide block though simply to make it simpler to keep from
moving at an angle away from the face of the miter gauge...probably
simpler than the above would be simply a tubafore w/ a 45 whacked off
one side clamped against the gauge for the dowel to sit in....
igor

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:20:25 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Guess who" wrote in message
.. .

Drill a hole in a large square block of wood to fit the dowel.
Insert, and use the wood block as the guide against the miter guage to
run it over the raised [just enough] table saw blade so as to take a
cut out of both. You'll need a block on the table as a guide if the
cut is well along the dowel. Otherwise drill the hole just deep
enough. Rotate the dowel in the hole as you are cutting. not the
best, but relatively safe and will do the job. Measure on the outside
of the dowel to move in and out to cover the 3/4" width.

Close to what I was going to suggest. I'd forgo the wood block though.
Simply lay the dowel in the front of the miter gauge and pass it over the
blade, rotate it at the high point of the blade. Of course, it does depend
on how long the dowel is. Too short and this idea doesn't work.

I'd thought about that unadorned approach -- just wondering what could turn
the dowel into a missile or otherwise move it dangerously. That's why I
posted.

And NO, I will not use the fence AND the miter guage -- though I think
using the miter guage stop would help. Thanks. -- Igor

Tom Banes

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:03:59 GMT, igor wrote:

I want to cut a 1/8" deep, 3/4" wide (long) groove around a 3/4" dowel. I
have a TS and a BS, as well as a basic set of chisels, but not a lathe. I
am looking for advice for an effective AND safe way to do this. TIA. --
Igor

Centered 1/4" hanger bolt used as a a center, chuck it in your DP
(slow speed here in case off-center), file rasp or even a carefully
wielded chisel or knife.

I've done it with 1/2" that I could chuck directly, so you just need
a center.

Regards.
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:04:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, igor
quickly quoth:

I'd thought about that unadorned approach -- just wondering what could turn
the dowel into a missile or otherwise move it dangerously. That's why I
posted.

Build a jig for your router and make it in that.

I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon)