Default Tounge and groove

Hi, I want to clad a ceiling with tounge and groove timber. A few
questions, Will it be OK to paint the boards first, or will that make
it difficult to get the t&g to fit nicely? Would 38mm staples, from a
pnuematic stapler make for a secure fixing? Should I fix through the
tounge or the groove?
Any advice MUCH appreciated.

Ha Ha you could be right, but I hope that running down the length of
the room, rather than across, and painted, it will give a bit of
character to a really boring box of a room. The existing ceiling is
badly installed, the plasterboard is moving on it's nails...

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Old Bill wrote:

Hi, I want to clad a ceiling with tounge and groove timber. snip
Any advice MUCH appreciated.

Ummm, several bods I know with this are desparate to get rid of it.
Are you sure you aren't stuck in a 1980s time warp?

LOL
I was going to post something similar.
Wood cladding on the walls is pretty bad, but on the ceiling....
The only place for wood on the walls & ceiling is a sauna.

Feung Shui... a harmony of all elements - too much of one makes for bad
chi flow .... or something.

oh, and it looks really naff.

:¬))

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

See what you mean. I just think you'd be hard pressed to get a staple
(or nail) through the upper half of the groove so that it doesn't
impinge the tongue of the next board - that's why it's normally done by
a nail through the tongue, aimed diagonally backwards (if you get my
drift) so the nail doesn't protrude beyond the tongue and interfere with
the next groove. If you can do it through the groove, them up to you!

I would agree that through the tongue is better, although I expect a
light guage narrow crown staple from a nail gun would work just as well
as a nail. So long as the gun head is small enough to accurately
position the staple, then there should be no problem since narrow crown
staples will usually be set just bellow the surface of the wood anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.