Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool Steel Simpified . . . the book

I have an extra copy of Carpenter Steel Co's "Tool Steel Simplified" It is a complete guide to heat
treating tool steel. It covers all aspects of the subject, but the most valuable, IMO, is the heat
treatment of ordinary drill rod. I've used my copy for a number of years after hearing about it
from Ed Huntress on RCM. It has become an invaluable part of my shop procedure whenever the need
for heat treatment of drill rod comes up. I'm thinking about putting it on eBay for $15 reserve
plus book rate shipping. Would anyone like to save me the trouble? Contact me off net at

Bob Swinney

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

for what it's worth, someone on ebay has the 1937 edition for sale for $6,
and someone else has an unknown edition for $7.50, and the highest price
seems to be $41 - so apparemtnly it's important to say what edition you have

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
I have an extra copy of Carpenter Steel Co's "Tool Steel Simplified" It is
a complete guide to heat
treating tool steel. It covers all aspects of the subject, but the most
valuable, IMO, is the heat
treatment of ordinary drill rod. I've used my copy for a number of years
after hearing about it
from Ed Huntress on RCM. It has become an invaluable part of my shop
procedure whenever the need
for heat treatment of drill rod comes up. I'm thinking about putting it
on eBay for $15 reserve
plus book rate shipping. Would anyone like to save me the trouble?
Contact me off net at

Bob Swinney

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill sez,

". . .so apparently it's important to say what edition you have"

Thanks Bill. The book I plan to sell is a 1937, first edition. Information relevant to the home
shop metalworker is procedure(s) for heating drill rod and flat stock to "beyond magnetic" and then
tempering for specified times in ordinary kitchen ovens.

Bob Swinney