Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default question on bending .040 aluminum on a brake

I need to bend some 6061T6 .040 aluminum that is a U shape, 8" wide
with 2" legs. I wanted to know if I mark exactly the 8" and make the
bend will the radius cause the overall width to be less or more than
the 8". I dont want to waste material by trying to bend 8" width and
then the overall width is either 7 7/8" or 8 1/8", any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: I dont want to waste material by trying to bend
8" width and
then the overall width is either 7 7/8" or 8 1/8", any suggestions?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Do a few test strips. That's not "waste." That's *planning.*

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 1:29*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
wrote:
I need to bend some 6061T6 .040 aluminum that is a U shape, 8" wide
with 2" legs. I wanted to know if I mark exactly the 8" and make the
bend will the radius cause the overall width to be less or more than
the 8". I dont want to waste material by trying to bend 8" width and
then the overall width is either 7 7/8" or 8 1/8", any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

Have you done a test bend on a piece of scrap from the same batch? *It
probably will bend OK if you leave the brake clamp back a bit to make a
wider bend. *If the test DOES crack, you need to wipe soap on the bend
line and heat with a torch until the soap turns brown, then quench in
lots of water while still hot. *This anneals the aluminum at the bend
region, and should allow much easier bending without cracking.

Others have answered the bend allowance part of your question.

Jon

Another way is to cut and bend a narrow strip and pad the clamp jaw
with it to increase the bend radius. This usually works with 0.062"
6061-T6 in either direction (yes, it has a grain).

5052 bends better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

5052 bends better.

And 2024 is a royal pain, even if you anneal it, it will still
break sometimes. I prefer 3003 and 5052 for jobs that need
bending. But, these alloys are a lot softer than 6061, so that
can be a problem.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson fired this volley in
:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

5052 bends better.

And 2024 is a royal pain, even if you anneal it, it will still
break sometimes. I prefer 3003 and 5052 for jobs that need
bending. But, these alloys are a lot softer than 6061, so that
can be a problem.

Alclad is tough stuff, but a set of radiusing noses will help a hunk.

LLoyd

aluminum brake work JASON Home Repair 3 May 10th 06 06:31 PM
Bending aluminum bar stock. Bob May Metalworking 11 December 22nd 05 01:04 AM
Tabletop brake for bending 90's in 1/4" round TT Metalworking 5 April 4th 05 04:12 AM
INSPIRATION - Bending Brake J T Woodworking 0 January 18th 05 11:04 PM
bending cast aluminum asdl Metalworking 14 December 3rd 04 12:29 PM