Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default reciprocating saw blade recycling

i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent wrote:

i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

Seem rather thin for most lathes. Might make a good flat spring for a firearm.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 11:21 am, Brent wrote:
i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

i think the teeth are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 2:21*pm, Brent wrote:
i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

If they are at all flexible then only the the teeth are hss, but you
can always cut new teeth in them with a cutoof wheel and sharpen them
on a belt sander to be good enough for wood and demolition.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Brent wrote:

i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

Seem rather thin for most lathes. Might make a good flat spring for a firearm.

Wes

Sawzall blades are very highly sought after in prison, where they make
wonderful weapons.

I volunteer in a maximum security prison ..

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Most high quality recip blades are bi metal, meaning that the
backs are soft and can bend without snapping and the teeth are
hardened and bonded to the softer blade. Just not much there for
recycling.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Wes" wrote in message
Brent wrote:

i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for
various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into
parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are
tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

Seem rather thin for most lathes. Might make a good flat spring
for a firearm.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 3:32*pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
Sawzall blades are very highly sought after in prison, where they make
wonderful weapons.
I volunteer in a maximum security prison ..
Grant

Good knives for one use, maybe. I ground an edge on the back of one to
make a collapsible survival knife. The saw teeth hold up well but the
blade dulls after sharpening one or two oak tent pegs. I filed the
teeth cross-cut and carry a small triangular needle file to keep it
sharp.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"beecrofter" (clip) you
can always cut new teeth in them with a cutoof wheel and sharpen them
on a belt sander to be good enough for wood and demolition.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you hold a dull blade gently against a belt sander, so that the worn tips
of the teeth are cut off, the blade can be used some more. It won't be the
same as new teeth, because the tips will be flat, but it will still cut
better than a totally dull blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 4:21 am, Brent wrote:
i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

Have a look at

http://home.iprimus.com.au/stevor/lathetools.htm

Andrew VK3BFA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:
Wes wrote:

Brent wrote:

i've been chewing though sawblades on my reciprocating saw for various
projects and i was stuck by an idea. is there any reason the old
reciprocating saw blades off my sawzall could be turned into parting
tools on the lathe?

does anyone know enough about those blades to say if they are tool
steel right through or if only the teeth are?

Seem rather thin for most lathes. Might make a good flat spring for a
firearm.

Wes

Sawzall blades are very highly sought after in prison, where they make
wonderful weapons.

I volunteer in a maximum security prison ..

Apparently a plastic phone card with nicks cut in the edge is good for
use as a weapon too.

Chris