James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default When's a Reciprocating Saw Blade Worn Out?

Hmmm. You've gotten 2 years out of one blade? Just replace it. No
point worrying about whether it's sharp or not honestly.
If it's not cutting as well as it should, get a new one.
Cheers,
cc

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
news

How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Ken

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Hall" wrote in message

The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.

That's one way to tell.

But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

What looks and feels to your finger does not count. For comparison sake,
cut your left toe off with the old blade. Now replace the blade and cut
your right toe off. See how much smoother it went?

Art Todesco

Also, when using it to cut wet 3" limbs,
it would be good to get a blade
for that use. I have one and it even
works pretty good with my not-too-
good El-Cheapo battery recip saw. BTW,
these blade are about 8" long
and have big teeth that look like a tree
saw. I got mine at Sears, but have
seen them in the home centers too.

Ken Hall wrote:
How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Ken

Greetings,

a) new blades from Harbor Freight are (were?) $1 in a multi-pack on
sale
b) if you find yourself cutting a lot of 6" limbs consider a chainsaw

Hope this helps,
William

Ken Hall wrote:

...Today I was trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.

Maybe the shrub was pinching the blade.

Nick

Todd H.

Ken Hall writes:
How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Mine let me know it was worn out by breaking. But, it sounds like
yours is ripe for replacement. They're cheap.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

For comparison sake,
cut your left toe off with the old blade. Now replace the blade and cut
your right toe off. See how much smoother it went?

And you're here because?

Ken

Hey, I answered your question didn't I? If you weren't such a cheap prick
you'd have a spare blade or three anyway.

Fred

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
news

How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Ken

I could tell when my blades are gone when its smoking, when the teeth are
rounded out and it doesn't bite into the wood anymore. If your teeth are as
sharp as a new blade then it sounds like its still good unless the blade has
lost its temper from over heating. I don't think 75 3-5 inch limbs are
unreasonable for a good quality bi-metal blade when you keep a low cutting
speed. But who has time for that anyway so I ware out blades more often? If
a new blade doesn't make a difference then its time to take out the chain
saw.

Get the Corona 37" super lopper for up to 3" limbs then chain saw anything
larger. Sawzall just too slow.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Ed2

"Ken Hall" wrote

How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Ken

Are you for real? If you can't tell, you have no business having a saw in
your hands.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
Oh, and I though it was because you were a sicko who's only life was
roaming newsgroups getting a twisted ego boost from putting people
down.

Ken

Nah, my full time job is to **** off people like you. I get paid to do
this. Really.

Jeff Wisnia

Ken Hall wrote:
How do you tell when a Sawzall blade is worn out? I have a blade
I've been using in my Sawzall for a couple of years to cut tree limbs.
It has probably cut 50-75 3-5 inch Magnolia tree limbs. Today I was
trying to cut a shrub with a base of about 6". The cut went
v-e-r-r-r-r-r-y slowly and it smoked while cutting this green wood.
But, it still looks and feels as sharp as a brand new blade with the
same tooth count.

Ken

The teeth may feel and be sharp, but I bet most of the "set" has
disappeared because of wearing off on the sides of the teeth.

Without a reasonable amount of set, so the slot cut is a bit wider than
the base thickness of the blade, it'll bind.

Loke otheres have politely and not so politely told you, try a new
blade. If it cuts better you have your answer.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ron Tock

Ken Hall wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
.. .
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

For comparison sake,
cut your left toe off with the old blade. Now replace the blade and

cut
your right toe off. See how much smoother it went?

And you're here because?

If you weren't such a cheap prick
you'd have a spare blade or three anyway.

Oh, and I though it was because you were a sicko who's only life was
roaming newsgroups getting a twisted ego boost from putting people
down.

Well, it WAS sort of a dumb question. When it smokes and doesn't
cut well, replace it. They cost what, a buck fifty?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Hall" wrote in message

And you're here because?

Ken

He's my assistant

I'm sorry. Does anyone need your permission to exist, or to speak, or
to point out the lack of thought implicit in your original question?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall find
unending amusement."

(Wish I knew the source.)

Jeff Wisnia

Ken Hall wrote:
Thanks to all who tried to help. FYI, the reason I asked instead of
simply buying a new blade was because we've moved and I won't be
needing a pruning (4 tooth) blade much anymore and the hardware store
near me only sells them in $20 packages. I'll try the big box store
next time I'm near one, and someone suggested Sears. I'm a little
leery of Sears stuff nowadays but maybe they sell a brand name like
Milwaukee (I think mine came with the saw) or DeWalt, etc.

When I used to come here for help this was a friendly courteous group
with essentially no sickos and trolls. Boy, has that changed.

Ken

You can say that again Ken.

Sometimes I wonder if our First amendment rights are all that good a
thing. G

Too many guys here sound like their entire alimentary canals have gotten
reversed. Sometimes the group emulates my memories of a middle school
cafeteria.

BTW, since it's a 4 TPI blade, and if some of the "set" is worn off, you
can probably bend the teeth (alternately) to the sides a bit by clamping
the blade in a vise with just the teeth protruding and carefully tapping
on them with a suitable punch and hammer.

Back when hand saws were far more prevalent special "saw setting pliers"
which were used to bend the teeth sideways after sharpening them were
quite common.

They're still made (in China, where else?) I guess:

http://allchinahardware.com/productPicE/b543.jpg

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Scraper Plane Edge Prep B_Lerner Woodworking 10 March 25th 05 09:36 PM
warped saw blade? GBannish Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 04:31 PM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM