Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cast Iron Tub, keep it?

Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to the
iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Sell it as a cast iron tub?

Old cast iron tubs are in vogue in my part of the world, people are
remodelling and fitting old cast iron tubs, especially the ones with
external / claw feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Or bring it to Manhattan and get 5,000 USyuppie dollars for it.
$6,000 if it has feet.
--
DT

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Give us some clues, maybe a pic. If it's one with the claw feet, as stated,
it's worth some bucks, and the bucks vary on condition, and size and style.
If it's just a regular modern looking tub, but cast iron, not so much.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 17, 11:43*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Remodeling my bathroom. *Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. *Do I keep it for
future casting projects? *Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. *Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. *Alternatively I could drive it to the
iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Keep it long enough and when we get down to the one cent dollar, it'll
be worth a mint as scrap. Probably next week! Might even buy a
gallon of gas.

Not sure what "right" is for cast iron. Other than the ability to
withstand its own weight and take the enameling process, I'm pretty
sure that the iron in tubs is probably just a little better than the
stuff in sash weights. Probably fine if you're casting pony weights,
tractor weights or barbells, probably not so good for engine blocks.

Or you could plant the thing in your front yard round end up, stick a
Virgin Mary statue in it and paint it blue(mid-western thing). Shower
curtain and scrub brush optional.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

==============================

Don't forget the accent lighting.
Oh, pastel blue, of course.
--
DT

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:43:45 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to the
iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

If it looks scruffy but isn't broken, get it re-enamelled or epoxy coated.
Then keep using it. They are far more comfortable than the modern stuff.

Mark Rand (I like my cast iron bath :-)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Is this the same tub that your wife was selling me 1 oz. bottles of her bath
water from?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

If it looks scruffy but isn't broken, get it re-enamelled or epoxy coated.
Then keep using it. They are far more comfortable than the modern stuff.

If you tend to be a bit heavy, it is a much nicer tub to stand in to take a shower in.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Is this the same tub that your wife was selling me 1 oz. bottles of her bath
water from?

Sounds rather kinky.
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Sell it as a cast iron tub?

Old cast iron tubs are in vogue in my part of the world, people are
remodelling and fitting old cast iron tubs, especially the ones with
external / claw feet.

Same thing around here. A cast tub in good condition brings a lot of
money. 2-300 dollars is common for a salvaged one.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:15:34 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Or bring it to Manhattan and get 5,000 USyuppie dollars for it.
$6,000 if it has feet.

I wonder what the bath tubs my grandfather used to make would bring.
In 1947 he came to live with us in the mid Ontario backwoods. One of
the things he missed most was the bathtub (we used the galvanized
washtub in the middle of the kitchen every Saturday night), and since
we couldn't afford to buy, even if there was one available.
Grandfather took some 3" x 24" clear pine from the interior of the
stable and constructed the interior form for a concrete bathtub, then
with more pine, an exterior form to give a wall thickness of IIRC
about two inches. He mixed his own concrete with local sand and
readily available Portland cement and cast his tub upside down, then,
after several days he rolled it right side up and removed the forms. I
don't know how much this tub weighed, but it took six men to carry it
in and install it behind the kitchen stove where it remained until
indoor plumbing was installed in 1960. The move to its new location
was not successful and it had to be replaced shortly after. I don't
know how many tubs he made but there were several around the township.
You never had to worry about falling in that tub because of the
slippery surface.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:17:32 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Den wrote:
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Sell it as a cast iron tub?

Old cast iron tubs are in vogue in my part of the world, people are
remodelling and fitting old cast iron tubs, especially the ones with
external / claw feet.

Same thing around here. A cast tub in good condition brings a lot of
money. 2-300 dollars is common for a salvaged one.

Sold a "reasonable" clawfoot for $300 to the first caller on KIJIJI
last week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Thanks

Ivan Vegvary

Give us some clues, maybe a pic. If it's one with the claw feet, as stated,
it's worth some bucks, and the bucks vary on condition, and size and style.
If it's just a regular modern looking tub, but cast iron, not so much.

Steve

Not so much, but still wanted by those that like to sit and soak in
the tub.

Cast tubs are warmer longer, and they are quiter than the tin POS ones
that everybody sells these days.

Refinishing tubs is not that big a deal, there are outfits that
specialize in it, and it's not too expensive.

Unless the tub is small, and oddly shaped (for a standard built-in),
it is probably worth more as a tub than as scrap. Use the funds to buy
the scrap you want, from said Ironmonger.

If it is a stand alone or clawfoot tub, give yer head a shake. $$$$

Cheers
Trevor Jones

cast iron [email protected] Metalworking 19 February 29th 08 01:25 AM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
cast iron; Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 3 September 19th 04 05:12 AM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM