Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Cast Iron Tub, keep it?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:15:34 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Remodeling my bathroom. Tub weighs maybe 250-300 lbs. Do I keep it for
future casting projects? Is this the right kind of cast iron?
I can cut it up with either my 12 lb. sledge or my plasma cutter. Storage
of the pieces would not be a problem. Alternatively I could drive it to
the iron monger and pick up maybe $20.

Or bring it to Manhattan and get 5,000 USyuppie dollars for it.
$6,000 if it has feet.

I wonder what the bath tubs my grandfather used to make would bring.
In 1947 he came to live with us in the mid Ontario backwoods. One of
the things he missed most was the bathtub (we used the galvanized
washtub in the middle of the kitchen every Saturday night), and since
we couldn't afford to buy, even if there was one available.
Grandfather took some 3" x 24" clear pine from the interior of the
stable and constructed the interior form for a concrete bathtub, then
with more pine, an exterior form to give a wall thickness of IIRC
about two inches. He mixed his own concrete with local sand and
readily available Portland cement and cast his tub upside down, then,
after several days he rolled it right side up and removed the forms. I
don't know how much this tub weighed, but it took six men to carry it
in and install it behind the kitchen stove where it remained until
indoor plumbing was installed in 1960. The move to its new location
was not successful and it had to be replaced shortly after. I don't
know how many tubs he made but there were several around the township.
You never had to worry about falling in that tub because of the
slippery surface.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada