Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soldering a tractor radiator (disaster story)

clare wrote:

An Arc-Air torch does the "V" grooving a lot more effectively than a
grinder in that application.
Had a real "artiste" with the arc-air at the construction equipment
shop I worked in many years a go. He'd groove out a crack, then fill
it back in with the welder in less time than the other welder could
find and put a new grinding wheel on his hand-grinder.

There's probably more chance of you screwing up if you're inexperienced,
though, isn't there?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:55:06 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

clare wrote:

An Arc-Air torch does the "V" grooving a lot more effectively than a
grinder in that application.
Had a real "artiste" with the arc-air at the construction equipment
shop I worked in many years a go. He'd groove out a crack, then fill
it back in with the welder in less time than the other welder could
find and put a new grinding wheel on his hand-grinder.

There's probably more chance of you screwing up if you're inexperienced,
though, isn't there?

Best wishes,

Chris

And more chance of hurting yourself with the grinder if you are
inexperienced.
ALL TOOLS ARE DANGEROUS in the hands of the inexperienced.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

clare wrote:

An Arc-Air torch does the "V" grooving a lot more effectively than a
grinder in that application.
Had a real "artiste" with the arc-air at the construction equipment
shop I worked in many years a go. He'd groove out a crack, then fill
it back in with the welder in less time than the other welder could
find and put a new grinding wheel on his hand-grinder.

There's probably more chance of you screwing up if you're inexperienced,
though, isn't there?

Best wishes,

Chris

And more chance of hurting yourself with the grinder if you are
inexperienced.

The point I was making is that someone who is competent with a grinder
might totally suck with the air-arc on their first attempt.

Best wishes,

Chris