Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dividing head parts wanted

I've got a little Clausing mdl 8647 dividing
head. It only came with one disc,
the one with 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 holes. I
believe they originally came with
2 other discs. Anybody have a source for the
discs, and maybe a tail support
to match the head? I've been watching ebay and
no luck so far.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BillM wrote:

I've got a little Clausing mdl 8647 dividing
head. It only came with one disc,
the one with 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 holes. I
believe they originally came with
2 other discs. Anybody have a source for the
discs, and maybe a tail support
to match the head? I've been watching ebay and
no luck so far.

Bill

You may have some luck buying any small tailstock and fabricating a
block to bring the center up to the correct height. I'm guessing it
would be a real longshot to source the missing plates unless
Clausing can provide them.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 5:28*pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
BillM wrote:
I've got a little Clausing mdl 8647 dividing
head. *It only came with one disc,
the one with 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 holes. *I
believe they originally came with
2 other discs. * *Anybody have a source for the
discs, and maybe a tail support
to match the head? *I've been watching ebay and
no luck so far.

Bill

You may have some luck buying any small tailstock and fabricating a
block to bring the center up to the correct height. I'm guessing it
would be a real longshot to source the missing plates unless
Clausing can provide them.

Grant

I made a tailstock for mine out of an angle plate and a rectangular
steel block drilled and reamed for 1/2" drill rod, which can be
repointed in the lathe. I have to set it to height with an adjustable
parallel but it is easy to machine a taper by changing the height.

I think you could make an index plate by arranging a ring of drill
bushings around a plug that you turn down until all the bushings touch
each other.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 5:01*pm, "BillM" wrote:
I've got a little Clausing mdl 8647 dividing
head. *It only came with one disc,
the one with 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 holes. *I
believe they originally came with
2 other discs. * *Anybody have a source for the
discs, and maybe a tail support
to match the head? *I've been watching ebay and
no luck so far.

Bill

On the plates, someone already mentioned John Stevenson. I believe he
makes them.

You can make your own. Lay out the holes by hand. Or, use the
dividing head to do it. If you have a 40:1 head, the holes in the 18
hole ring will get you to within a half degree. Not accurate enough?
Do a little reading - and thinking - about how dividing heads work.
You'll find that - except for slop and error in the worm gearing,
which you can't control - your workpiece will be 40 times as accurate
as your dividing plate. Neat, no? So, if the plate you layed out by
hand doesn't give you the accuracy you wish, use it to make another
plate of the same hole count.

Here's the math. Assume a 5" diameter hole ring, 40:1 dividing head.
Use the 18 hole ring to index, which will get you to a half degree on
the workpiece. Actually, since it will be a half degree between
positions, your hole will be located to within a quarter degree plus
or minus - that's about a hundredth of an inch. Using that first
plate you just made as an index plate will bring you to an accuracy on
your workpiece of about a half minute, or several ten-thousandths of
an inch.

On the tailstock, while you might find one that matches up perfectly
to the center height of your head, or grind a baseplate to bring it to
that height, I think I'd settle for one of the adjustable height
tailstocks that are commonly available.

Just my two cents, though.

John Martin