Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need help with nitinol motor Bribe offered

HI All. I am developing a motor using super elastic nitinol wire and have
problems.
Picture at: http://www.pacificsites.com/~snyder/motor.jpg The most
frustrating problem is joining the wire together. I bought some tiny
stainless steel tubing from Ebay. The idea is to use this as a sleeve and
solder/braze it together. It hasn't arrived yet. I have been unable to
find small high pressure crimp fittings.
The second problem is the wire slipping on the pulleys. I will send anyone
coming up with a solution to either of these problems a piece of wire to
play with, assuming it is something I can use. Wire description at:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~snyder/...est%20Data.htm
This wire has a transition temp ~100C. This helps resolving the cooling
side. The heating side can be easily insulated with cheap
materials(styrofoam). I am hoping to put this on a bicycle and operate with
solar power. Any comment/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:49:37 -0700, "Larry Snyder"
wrote:

[...]

Greetings Larry,
I would spot weld the wires together inside the sleeves instead of
soldering them. You can buy stainless tubing already cut into short
lengths at a sporting goods store. Cripmers too. The sleeves are for
making up stainless steel leaders. I made up an emergency throttle
cable for a car broken down on the side of the road out of some 50 lb.
test ss leader and a couple crimps. The fix was appropriate too as the
car was one of those "boat cars" that were made in the late 50's or
early 60's.
Cheers,
eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hi eric. Spot welding in tube is great idea. Also sleeves from sporting
good store. Please send me your mailing address and I'll send wire monday.
Thanks.
Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Snyder" wrote in message
icinternet...
[...]

HI All. I posted this on several newsgroups and got a lot of responses. I
would like to thank everyone for their input.
The answers that I like a
capstain/multiple turns around pulleys
use tubing for guide and spot weld
grooving pulleys for more surface area
crimp fittings from fishing supply store
idlers/belts to apply extra pressure on pulleys
Answers I didn't like:
coating pulleys with nonslip stuff- wire pressure too great. will fail too
fast.
I have notified people with the above ideas and will offer wire only for
some other ideas.
Thanks for your interest.
Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*The most
frustrating problem is joining the wire together. *I bought some tiny
stainless steel tubing from Ebay. *The idea is to use this as a sleeve and
solder/braze it together. *It hasn't arrived yet. *I have been unable to
find small high pressure crimp fittings.

Thanks for your interest.
Larry

I was looking for information on soldering Nickel,
and ran across a reference to using phosphoric
acid flux to solder stainless. Has anyone used any
phosphoric acid flux?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

To All,
When Larry Snyder made the above post I responded with a suggestion
that he apparently found useful and true to his word I recieved in the
mail yesterday what looks to be about 25 feet of nitinol wire. Thanks
Larry!
Cheers,
Eric

Offered, without comment. Almost on-topic. Spehro Pefhany Metalworking 1 November 25th 07 02:03 AM
Offered free to collector Bob Minchin UK diy 9 August 29th 06 12:32 PM
Free Labourer offered! Gav UK diy 19 March 7th 06 06:02 PM
Washing machine offered.. good deal? PoP UK diy 3 September 17th 03 08:16 PM
wife offered membership; why not me bob Woodworking 12 July 20th 03 11:53 AM