Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Snyder Larry Snyder is offline

Default Need help with nitinol motor Bribe offered

HI All. I am developing a motor using super elastic nitinol wire and have
problems.
Picture at: http://www.pacificsites.com/~snyder/motor.jpg The most
frustrating problem is joining the wire together. I bought some tiny
stainless steel tubing from Ebay. The idea is to use this as a sleeve and
solder/braze it together. It hasn't arrived yet. I have been unable to
find small high pressure crimp fittings.
The second problem is the wire slipping on the pulleys. I will send anyone
coming up with a solution to either of these problems a piece of wire to
play with, assuming it is something I can use. Wire description at:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~snyder/...est%20Data.htm
This wire has a transition temp ~100C. This helps resolving the cooling
side. The heating side can be easily insulated with cheap
materials(styrofoam). I am hoping to put this on a bicycle and operate with
solar power. Any comment/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Larry