Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures (not mine of course) -- Tod Engine Assembly done

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=160891

``Crankshaft 105,000 lbs.
Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs.
80 ton hydraulic crane
90 ton conventional crane.

Whew! Glad its DONE!''

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:02:03 -0500, Ignoramus9935
wrote:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=160891

``Crankshaft 105,000 lbs.
Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs.
80 ton hydraulic crane
90 ton conventional crane.

Whew! Glad its DONE!''

This is why electricity is generated using steam turbines at modern
power plants. In addition to the added efficiency of the steam
turbine, reciprocating steam engines of this size would produce so
much vibration that they would shake the containment buildings
severely enough to damage them.

Nice pics though. Thx for sharing them.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, Not your old Ford Pinto engine is it...... Makes race engines a lot
more fun every time I see some gigantic thing like that. Try to turn that
crank on my gear....Um, no..... I get ****ed when I have to turn down a
Hemi crank or an nodular iron one I can't chuck by hand. I just ran short
of 90 ton cranes too!
And to think I wanted to be a Millwright!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-03, Rob Fraser FraserRacing wrote:
Well, Not your old Ford Pinto engine is it...... Makes race engines a lot
more fun every time I see some gigantic thing like that. Try to turn that
crank on my gear....Um, no..... I get ****ed when I have to turn down a
Hemi crank or an nodular iron one I can't chuck by hand. I just ran short
of 90 ton cranes too!
And to think I wanted to be a Millwright!

And not the kind of thing that would fit on my trailer!

Rick wants to run this engine (for show purposes) by using a DC motor
and some sort of sprocket chain drive. An interesting challenge.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9935 wrote:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=160891

``Crankshaft 105,000 lbs.
Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs.
80 ton hydraulic crane
90 ton conventional crane.

Whew! Glad its DONE!''

Don't even have to look to know your showing Ricks hard work. Oh and
that Tod engine is SMALL compared to his latest find...

If you live in the area and wish to help Rick LIKES volunteers...
Just don't wear sandals...

Most of the original crew that helped him are on another list I belong
to. They are all engine men/ladies.
--
Steve W.