Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question for any motor wizzes...

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear motor
rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I now need to
build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking for
another surplus gear motor.

I'm finding gear motors with lower HP ratings but higher torque ratings
at similar RPM, such as 1/6 HP 80 RPM 82.0 LB-IN, or one that is higher
RPM and higher torque, 1/12 HP 254 RPM 17.0 LB-IN.

The connection between the gear motor and the final driven shafts is via
chain and I can readily adjust that drive ratio to get the final 50 RPM
shaft speed I need.

I'm a bit confused on whether the lower HP rating matters given the
torque ratings that are higher than I seemingly need based on the
original unit. Ignoring losses in the chain drive, that 1/12 HP motor
would seemingly give me 85 LB-IN at the shafts vs. 21 LB-IN, or the 1/6
HP one 131 LB-IN.

I must be missing something here...

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:39:23 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

[...]

Bodine often uses the same gearhead on a range of motor sizes, so
you'll find the torque on some of their geamotors is limited by the
input HP, and on others by the strength of the gears themselves. If
you're comparing worm gears to more efficient reducers, that would
also explain some of the discrepancy between input and output HP.

Ned Simmons

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Possibly, I'm also thinking that the 11.0 LB-FT was really 110 LB-FT and
the "." was a well placed random ding. That would put the 1/6 HP 80 RPM
82 LB-IN motor at about the correct torque I'd think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. writes:

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear motor
rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I now need to
build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking for
another surplus gear motor.

The Lloyd Sponenburgh ball mill design works great as a tumbler, and you
don't need a gear motor:

http://fogoforum.us/mill.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear motor
rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I now need to
build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking for
another surplus gear motor.

The Lloyd Sponenburgh ball mill design works great as a tumbler, and you
don't need a gear motor:

http://fogoforum.us/mill.php

Similar, but my version is a bit beefier: http://wpnet.us/tumbler.jpg

With water and media, the tank weighs ~45-50#.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:g3L8k.5783
:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear motor
rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I now need

build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking for
another surplus gear motor.

The Lloyd Sponenburgh ball mill design works great as a tumbler, and

you
don't need a gear motor:

http://fogoforum.us/mill.php

Similar, but my version is a bit beefier: http://wpnet.us/tumbler.jpg

With water and media, the tank weighs ~45-50#.

Please, Pete. Don't confuse that design (which was based on mine) with
mine, exactly.

My mill design will handle two jars ("tanks") of over 50lb each.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear motor
rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I now need

build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking for
another surplus gear motor.

The Lloyd Sponenburgh ball mill design works great as a tumbler, and

you
don't need a gear motor:

http://fogoforum.us/mill.php

Similar, but my version is a bit beefier: http://wpnet.us/tumbler.jpg

With water and media, the tank weighs ~45-50#.

Please, Pete. Don't confuse that design (which was based on mine) with
mine, exactly.

My mill design will handle two jars ("tanks") of over 50lb each.

LLoyd

It can't be based on yours, since I built it nearly a year before ever
seeing your design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in
:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

[...]

Not yours, Pete, the design offered you as an example!

YOU said, "But my version is a bit beefier...", referring to the model
Richard showed you.

(doesn't anybody follow the attributions?)
LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in
:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

[...]

My version, shown on my site (wpnet.us) was built nearly a year ago. It
has a welded steel frame, and if I made it about a foot or so longer
would probably handle a full 55 gal drum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:1QO8k.19693
:
My version, shown on my site (wpnet.us) was built nearly a year ago. It
has a welded steel frame, and if I made it about a foot or so longer
would probably handle a full 55 gal drum.

Heh! _MY_ version, shown damned-near all over the web, was built, and
the book published in 1995.

FWIW, A South African mining college bought the book in 1997, and built
some whoppers extrapolated from the original layouts. They told me that
their "expanded" mill would handle three to five tons of material.

Ooof!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:55:50 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:1QO8k.19693
:
My version, shown on my site (wpnet.us) was built nearly a year ago. It
has a welded steel frame, and if I made it about a foot or so longer
would probably handle a full 55 gal drum.

Heh! _MY_ version, shown damned-near all over the web, was built, and
the book published in 1995.

FWIW, A South African mining college bought the book in 1997, and built
some whoppers extrapolated from the original layouts. They told me that
their "expanded" mill would handle three to five tons of material.

Ooof!

LLoyd

I built a crude ball mill in 1968. I used a wooden frame to mount
wringer rolls from washing machines coupled end to end for length,
running in three die cast bearings. One roll was belt driven by a 1/4
HP washer motor. I used a fibre drum to contain 100 pounds of a
sulfur mixture used to cap the ends of concrete compressive strength
specimens. The "balls" were a half dozen, nearly spherical river
stones. the purpose of this unit was to mix the components into a
homogeneous blend. A latter employer developed their own version of a
sealed drum, vane less, "cement mixer" with steel base balls.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. writes:

My version, shown on my site (wpnet.us) was built nearly a year ago.

Scuba tanks? What is the application? Are you refinishing them or what?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

My version, shown on my site (wpnet.us) was built nearly a year ago.

Scuba tanks? What is the application? Are you refinishing them or what?

Yes, a tank tumbler for internal cleaning of SCUBA tanks. Fill half full
of water and abrasive media and tumble a few hours to overnight to
remove contamination and corrosion. Pretty standard item, just my
version of it.

Motor question SteveB Metalworking 15 November 19th 07 01:43 PM
Question on Woodworking Motor and Farm Duty Motor. Wilson Woodworking 21 June 12th 06 11:00 PM
DC Motor Question Tom Gardner Metalworking 2 March 9th 06 06:09 AM
Question about fan motor Gary Brady Metalworking 5 September 11th 05 06:43 PM
AC motor question. Alex Woodworking 11 September 5th 05 09:51 PM