Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question for any motor wizzes...

"Pete C." fired this volley in
:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:g3L8k.5783
:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Pete C. writes:

I built a tumbler a while back that used a surplus Bodine gear
motor rated 1/4 HP 96 RPM 11.0 LB-IN and it worked quite well. I
now need

build another one and I'm running into some confusion looking
for another surplus gear motor.

The Lloyd Sponenburgh ball mill design works great as a tumbler,
and

you
don't need a gear motor:

http://fogoforum.us/mill.php

Similar, but my version is a bit beefier:
http://wpnet.us/tumbler.jpg

With water and media, the tank weighs ~45-50#.

Please, Pete. Don't confuse that design (which was based on mine)
with mine, exactly.

My mill design will handle two jars ("tanks") of over 50lb each.

LLoyd

It can't be based on yours, since I built it nearly a year before ever
seeing your design

Not yours, Pete, the design offered you as an example!

YOU said, "But my version is a bit beefier...", referring to the model
Richard showed you.

(doesn't anybody follow the attributions?)
LLoyd