Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default DC Motor Question

I will be powering a 1/4 hp gearmotor with a Dart control from 2 legs of my
240 Delta 3-phase as per previous question. The motor will have a 5% duty
cycle, not braked, and only 1 direction. I will be using a Momentary
contact and relay to start the motor that will stop when something hits a
limit switch and a momentary to jog the motor at other times. Do I switch it
on and off with the AC, DC, both or either?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article , "Tom
Gardner" says...
I will be powering a 1/4 hp gearmotor with a Dart control from 2 legs of my
240 Delta 3-phase as per previous question. The motor will have a 5% duty
cycle, not braked, and only 1 direction. I will be using a Momentary
contact and relay to start the motor that will stop when something hits a
limit switch and a momentary to jog the motor at other times. Do I switch it
on and off with the AC, DC, both or either?

Doesn't the controller have a signal level input that disables the the
armature current? That's what you want to use. It's generally best to
avoid switching the DC to an inductive load if possible.

If it's this controller, or similar, the "inhibit" input is what you
want to use.

http://www.dartcontrols.com/products3.asp?Product=250G

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article , "Tom
Gardner" says...

I will be powering a 1/4 hp gearmotor with a Dart control from 2 legs of my
240 Delta 3-phase as per previous question. The motor will have a 5% duty
cycle, not braked, and only 1 direction. I will be using a Momentary
contact and relay to start the motor that will stop when something hits a
limit switch and a momentary to jog the motor at other times. Do I switch it
on and off with the AC, DC, both or either?

Doesn't the controller have a signal level input that disables the the
armature current? That's what you want to use. It's generally best to
avoid switching the DC to an inductive load if possible.

If it's this controller, or similar, the "inhibit" input is what you
want to use.

http://www.dartcontrols.com/products3.asp?Product=250G

Ned Simmons

There is an inhibit method or two you can use. It's all documented in
their online manuals. You interrupt the signal of the speed pot I
believe. So it sees o volts = no speed. The pot is 0-10v.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Mike