Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More good stuff @ HF: 1/2 Earthquake Impact Wrench, jack, torquewrench

"Shook me all night long"

With 2 cars in my family past warranty I finally figured it is time to
start doing more routine stuff on them myself and save bocu dinero.

Of course some of the money that is to be saved in the future had to
be spent on proper tools so that all the work is done in style.

Nottin' looks worse than stomping on a stock lug nut wrench to remove
to the wheels and spending 30 minutes cranking manual jack (per wheel
that is).

So proper tools at a good price ... hmmmm ... Harbor Freight comes to
mind !

At this point I own the following HF tools: mini-mill, X3 mill, mini-
lathe, 9x20 lathe, MIG welder, 9 gallon compressor and countless
countless other tools - all made in PROC. Had 0 issues (flame ON ON
ON).

Did some research, went to a local store and picked up:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2623

Man, do these things work, look and feel just right. The alum jack is
simply beautiful and it comes with LEDs in the rubber padded jack
point. The idea is to shine the light when needed so you can better
see the underside of the car.

The wrench has about 6 different torque positions, feels so right and
has 0 issues taking lugs off. Purrs very nicely, barely uses any air
at all and my el-cheapo HF compressor
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95386
)
has no issues driving it. Of course make sure you thread the nuts back
on by hand, for a turn or 2, before applying the Earthquake as it
will cross thread them w/o any hesitation (so I read on the
Internets

Well, it keeps getting better:

was something like $15. Simply stunning looking, lifetime wty (at that
price I'd buy a new one when and if this one wears out)

Torque wrench

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=807

I made sure it clicks and adjusts. Right in the store I carefully
mounted the end tip in a vise (they normally have a few bolted down in
the display area) and tested it. The first 2 didn't seem to work, the
3rd one was the charm and came home with me. I have no problems with
it .

Now, folx will ask why is it I don't have a proper air compressor.
Simple - the one I have works just fine (it IS a bit on loud side),
but most importantly is it small and fits _under_ the bench. The
upright will require more space and that is very precious commodity in
me shop .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rashid111 wrote:
[...]

I don't see any jack stands on that list. Do you already have them?
Don't EVER trust just a jack to support a vehicle if your going to be
under it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had zero issues with HF wrenches and sockets, and most hand tools,
love their air over hydraulic jack and most of the air tools worked as
advertised.

Their reciprocating saw, as well as air nailer, failed me utterly.

I did not like their small compressor because it was so noisy, but I
sold it to my friend and he loves it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8073 wrote:
I had zero issues with HF wrenches and sockets, ...

- the box end of their combo wrenches had *really* bad fit
- an open end jaw just broke off, with very little force
- an impact socket split open

The broken ones were replaced by HF, but not expeditiously.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Ignoramus8073 wrote:
I had zero issues with HF wrenches and sockets, ...

- the box end of their combo wrenches had *really* bad fit
- an open end jaw just broke off, with very little force
- an impact socket split open

The broken ones were replaced by HF, but not expeditiously.

By mail? I can see mail order replacement being a bit slow. The one HF
item I managed to break, a small 3 jaw puller that I was rather hard on,
was replaced in about 45 seconds without question the next time I was at
the HF store. I came close to breaking a Snap-On puller as well before I
finally got the joint separated.