Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PICTURE -- Big vs. small impact wrench

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:01:58 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I have experience with the larger wrenches, and posted such experience,
and you pooh poohed me. Let's hear about your experience, and please omit
the phrase "should not".

Steve

I was not trying to prove you wrong, but the picture of the 2 impacts show
an pneumatic 1/2" impact and I would assume also that the larger one is
pneumatic also. You mentioned Hydraulic Impacts, those I have no experience
with at all. You also mentioned a comparison to your 1/2" Skil drill.
There is no comparison what so ever between a direct drive drill and an
impact driver. For years when in the automotive business I use 1/2" impacts
and they only require the effort to hold the tool. Perhaps 1~2 % of the
force feeds back to the operator as opposed to a 1/2" drill where 100% is
delivered back to the operator. On numerous occasions I used a 1" impact to
remove lug nut from "Large" equipment, obviously not as large as the 2.5"
tools is capable of handling but in my 35+ years of experience with properly
working impact drives the bigger the capacity 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 1" there
was no difference in feed back to the operator once in place one hand to
pull the trigger was all that is needed to prevent the tool from spinning.
Weight was the only difference in my experience. "A properly working impact
Should Not deliver much if any feed back to the operator. An inferior or an
"in need of servicing" unit may not provide the operator with proper buffer
from the toque. Impacts deliver thousands of on/off impulses that
accomplish loosening or tightening nuts and bolts. If the tool has an
internal air leak it can bypass the hammering/impact mode and simply try to
spin continuously, that is when the impact would require more effort from
the operator.

I usually let BS like this pass without comment but someone might
take it as truth and get hurt.

You use the condition "that in your experience", which only means it
hasn't happened yet.

More than one foolish boy has had a cast on his arm for trying to
handle a CP 797 with one hand.

The hammer and anvil section is between the motor and the socket. No
amount of internal air leak will bypass the impact section.

My 42 years trumps your 35.

--Andy Asberry--