Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering

My good friend asked me to repair his Dell laptop, an Inspiron 5150 that has a
well documented problem with mechanical stress cracking solder joints. The door
for the communication cards has little tabs that bump on a surface mount chip
causing the joints to crack and fail. I could see the cracks with a hand-held
microscope. I made a tip for my soldering station using a piece of 28 ga.
copper wire and fluxed the joints with a brush having a single strand of horse
hair and some melted "No-Corrode" paste. I didn't add any solder, just remelted
the existing. It took me over an hour to do the whole chip, it was like
circumcising gnats with an axe!

This job was beyond my limits but I got lucky and the laptop works. I want a
REAL boom microscope with a built in camera! I wonder how this job would be
done by real repair people?

Tiny Spiders AE Todd Home Repair 3 August 13th 07 04:24 PM
Tiny Ensuite avocado UK diy 12 January 6th 07 02:18 PM
Tiny air conditioner _DD Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 03:40 PM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM
Tiny FM Radio Chip mv Electronics Repair 3 November 21st 03 06:57 AM