Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ZIP drive to swap...

On 2008-06-01, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
When I was one of the Engineering Managers at Mitsubishi, another group
produced special very high density drives that were 2.88M for IBM only.

I didn't know - but I suspected these were so that only certain machines
could read data and the data couldn't be copied. Might be simply a set of
files could fit on a 2M disk but not on 1.4M - so a better head was developed.

A lot of the later Sun workstations had that drive as an option.
I've got several on various systems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

actually, I gave an A version an 8800 original a B and the first portable
looking machine - typewriter looking 8800. da event time. The person I
gave 3 disk drives, 2 IBM grade bootable tape drives unknown count of 8"
hard sector floppies many with Fortran, Forth, Cobol, DOS, Basic (real stuff not
mainframe junk)(this was Bill Gates great claim of fame. Then came Microsoft.

I had Teletype, Owl monitor (7x9 dot matrix ) Queme daisy wheel printer.
(those were the days! - Writing software for Police, Motorola, Well Services,
Engineering group (pipelines and facilities), Dallas ISD, and several doctors.

Then went to SLB and Varian code at customers - Fortran naturally, and Z8
and Z8000 code. COde in special version of ELN and EPascal (DEC) and alpha
sited the Micro-Vax with boards like motherboards, then second gen .....
On to Sun 2, 3, 4, Ultra..... Now PC - One and two CPU machines.

I have another B in the shop - just the mainframe part. Anyone need a board ?

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

On 2008-05-31, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

William Noble wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Anyone want a Syquest drive or 3? 1 gig.....

[ ... ]

geeez - if you are going to dig up ancient history - anyone want some PLI
drives and media? 40 and 80 meg, one PC type, the rest SCSI/Mac type?

My Altair 8800B 8080 machine can't handle that new stuff.

Nor will my Altair 680b (6800 CPU). :-)

Can you still find the hard-sectored 8" floppies needed for your
system's floppy drives (if it *has* floppy drives. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

When I was one of the Engineering Managers at Mitsubishi, another group
produced special very high density drives that were 2.88M for IBM only.

There was a 3.5" 2.88 MB drive fr the Commodore computers, at one
time.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.