Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default semi OT. use of a generator

So, the sig other says were going camping with her in-laws. 3 nights, 7
people in a tent trailer. The heater is 12 volt powered. I always run the
trailer from the truck battery, no problems. In fact, Ive run the trailer
for two days straight. This year I am a little worried about running the
truck battery down. Now for the metal content. I do have a very very nice,
really little Kawasaki 1000a generator. The genny even has 12 volt outputs,
8 amps. So, can I charge the truck battery from these outputs???? truck is a
2000 Nissan Frontier.

The second question is, how to lock the genny down, so it does not get
stolen and so that it does not vibrate or "walk" while running. We will be
staying in a camp ground on beach...

any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob in Phx" wrote in
:

So, the sig other says were going camping with her in-laws. 3 nights,
7 people in a tent trailer. The heater is 12 volt powered. I always
run the trailer from the truck battery, no problems. In fact, Ive run
the trailer for two days straight. This year I am a little worried
about running the truck battery down. Now for the metal content. I do
have a very very nice, really little Kawasaki 1000a generator. The
genny even has 12 volt outputs, 8 amps. So, can I charge the truck
battery from these outputs???? truck is a 2000 Nissan Frontier.

The second question is, how to lock the genny down, so it does not get
stolen and so that it does not vibrate or "walk" while running. We
will be staying in a camp ground on beach...

any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

1. You'll be far better off if you'll use a regular battery charger to
recharge the truck battery: the 12V outlet doesn't put out much current in
comparison. [Most are 10A or better.]

2. With 7 people in a pop-up you won't need much heat, if any, to be added.

3. You might want to invest in a Deep Cycle 12V battery or two to power the
trailer - that way, you won't be at risk of being stranded when someone
leaves the lights on for you - and recharge it/them from the
generator+battery charger which you can keep in the truck when not in use.

4. You might want to re-post this query on alt.rv.pop-up-trailers, alt.rv,
and/or rec.outdoors.rv-travel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

never even new that new group existed!!!!!!!!!

off to read up on the subject!!!!!

and thanks for the other tips too!!!!!
"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
So, the sig other says were going camping with her in-laws. 3 nights, 7
people in a tent trailer. The heater is 12 volt powered. I always run the
trailer from the truck battery, no problems. In fact, Ive run the trailer
for two days straight. This year I am a little worried about running the
truck battery down. Now for the metal content. I do have a very very nice,
really little Kawasaki 1000a generator. The genny even has 12 volt
outputs, 8 amps. So, can I charge the truck battery from these outputs????
truck is a 2000 Nissan Frontier.

The second question is, how to lock the genny down, so it does not get
stolen and so that it does not vibrate or "walk" while running. We will be
staying in a camp ground on beach...

any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:
So, the sig other says were going camping with her in-laws. 3 nights, 7
people in a tent trailer. The heater is 12 volt powered. I always run the
trailer from the truck battery, no problems. In fact, Ive run the trailer
for two days straight. This year I am a little worried about running the
truck battery down. Now for the metal content. I do have a very very nice,
really little Kawasaki 1000a generator. The genny even has 12 volt outputs,
8 amps. So, can I charge the truck battery from these outputs???? truck is a
2000 Nissan Frontier.

The second question is, how to lock the genny down, so it does not get
stolen and so that it does not vibrate or "walk" while running. We will be
staying in a camp ground on beach...

any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx.

X2 for the deep cycle batteries. Get an Isolator, too, so the
battery(s) can be charged off the truck system, but won't draw down the
truck battery.

Consider a solar panel charger, too. Not much capacity, but the
battery will always be ready to go when you want to grab the trailer and go.

The Genset. Uglify. A funky, ugly paint job, reduces it's value as
pawn. Having some ID carved into it in a lot of places improves the
liklyhood of it coming back to you when it is stolen.
Chains, cables, locks, a Doberman, etc, will only reduce the number of
thieves that will think it worthwhile to go after your genset. Maybe
enough to get them to look elsewhere. Best is to be able to keep a close
eye on it. Next best is to reduce the level of "easy" that it
represents. Parking it somewhere where there are always a few folks
around is good too.

Screw down dog "parking" stakes are a possibility, maybe.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

semi-gloss enamel in an oil-based or acrylic semi-gloss enamel Tube Audio Home Repair 2 October 15th 07 04:44 PM
Semi Gloat Tina Woodworking 15 July 3rd 06 08:29 PM
Semi-OT What's Wrong Here? George Woodworking 72 July 8th 05 05:15 AM