Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HTS-2000 any good?

Is this stuff any good? I want to fabricate some small AL tubes in the
from of a cube?

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp
I'm guessing a zinc alloy, but is it good?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 20, 10:33 am, "
wrote:
Is this stuff any good? I want to fabricate some small AL tubes in the
from of a cube?

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp
I'm guessing a zinc alloy, but is it good?

Karl

And, is it better than the mythical 'alumalloy'?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 20, 10:33*am, "
wrote:
Is this stuff any good? I want to fabricate some small AL tubes in the
from of a cube?

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp
I'm guessing a zinc alloy, but is it good?

Karl

Decorative or structural?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 20, 6:54 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm guessing a zinc alloy, but is it good?

If it melts with propane, it almost certainly is zinc based. I've used
the hardware store variety and it's useful, but not nearly as good as
they say (surprise). This stuff is certainly not $65 a lb (+ shipping)
good (I paid $16ish). It's best use is filling stripped/wallowed out
holes for re-drilling (& tapping). It's weakest use is under tension.
What sort of stress will your cubes be subjected to?

Bob

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks everyone.
Looking it up to post a link. This version says it has stainless steel
corners.
http://trapezerigging.com/JugglingCube/
Makes sense. I was wondering how the Al would hold up to use.
You can see by the price why we'd rather make a couple.
Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Find a TIG welding shop that will make the corner blocks for you, or
cut and fit, and silver solder the parts yourself.

The rest of the cube is overpriced tubing.

Work out the attachemnt by whatever means you prefer.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 10:56 am, Trevor Jones wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I can silver solder. Now that I've come across the secret of the
corners It should be possible to make it with tools on hand. Just got
to find reasonably priced Al tube.
Thanks
Karl .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

See what you can find for Titanium tubing.

There are a lot of Ti. tubes used in the aircraft industry as
hydraulic and fuel lines, and you may be able to source some out that
have lost their certs. Compared to aluminum, Ti. tube is noticably
lighter, and very stiff.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hadn't thought of that. I assumed it was out of our price range.
Thanks
Karl