Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threadlockers and superglue

I have never used threadlockers before (but I have only recently discovered
the benefits of internal combustion engine, so forgive me!).

I spent some considerable time on the various web-sites and got only limited
answers to my questions. Here they are, I would be grateful for any advice:

1) How does a $14-threadlocker differ from a $2 Superglue? I gather the
threadlockers are anaerobic. Does that mean that superglue is aerobic?
2) How long does it take for a threadlocker (say Loctite 242) to cure?
3) The purple, blue and red are different strengths. I just could not get a
picture of *how much* they differ. I gather you need heat to loosen up the
red, but what about the others?
4) Why the different thread size recommendation?
5) Where does the "Green" threadlocker fit in strength-wise? I understand
you put it on a fastener already in place, but what kind of result can be
expected?

I just did an experiment: Put a 1/2" nut half-way on a bolt and then
dribbled some cheap superglue into the cavity. It took its sweet time curing
(as observed by the behaviour of the small droplet in the middle of the
cavity), but then I had to grip the bolt in a pipe-vise (ordinary vise would
not do) and managed to get the nut off with a 3/4" spanner. On inspection,
only about 3 threads were engaged and there was still residue of uncured
glue on them.

Thanks for help,

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Need to Remove SuperGlue from finger Les Home Repair 26 April 9th 07 06:27 AM
removing Superglue OG UK diy 3 January 3rd 06 12:22 AM
Superglue as stud 'n bearing fit? Jimmy UK diy 2 January 20th 05 10:31 AM
Superglue query N Cook Electronics Repair 8 December 11th 04 04:37 AM