Posted to alt.home.repair
Les Les is offline

Default Need to Remove SuperGlue from finger

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Les" wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Time.

It'll come off all by itself within 2 or 3 days.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:55 -0400, "Les"
wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Time. Or grab an edge, and pull, if there's a loose edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Hi,
Be patient. It'll come off in few days itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Time. Or grab an edge, and pull, if there's a loose edge.

That often removes some skin, too...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

I don't think I would want anything that dissolved superglue
touching my skin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:55 -0400, Les wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

It works if you let it.

Next time, don't even bother with superglue. The only thing it works on is
human skin. For everything else, it is too brittle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
news
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue
on one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried
nail polish remover and it did not work)
Hi Les,

About the only effective thing that will remove super glue is time.
However, after saying that and have had the same experience (I build and fly
large radio Controlled aircraft) try sandpaper. If I have a lump of
superglue on my finger I fire up my palm sande with #100 grit paper and sand
the lump down. Be carefull though as you could go too deep...just go a bit
at a time and it'll dissapear. Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:02:00 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

"Les" wrote in message
news
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue
on one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried
nail polish remover and it did not work)
Hi Les,

About the only effective thing that will remove super glue is time.
However, after saying that and have had the same experience (I build and fly
large radio Controlled aircraft) try sandpaper. If I have a lump of
superglue on my finger I fire up my palm sande with #100 grit paper and sand
the lump down. Be carefull though as you could go too deep...just go a bit
at a time and it'll dissapear. Jim

Lump? I've had it on my hands, but in a thin layer. Lumps get wiped
to a rag, right away. Pumice stones are great. I use one when I have
paint, caulk or other things on my hands, etc.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in
:

About the only effective thing that will remove super glue is
time.
However, after saying that and have had the same experience (I build
and fly large radio Controlled aircraft) try sandpaper. If I have a
lump of superglue on my finger I fire up my palm sande with #100 grit
paper and sand the lump down. Be carefull though as you could go too
deep...just go a bit at a time and it'll dissapear. Jim

If it bleeds,you've gone too far.....

me,I prefer 240 grit,hand sanding.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Les writes:

What is good to use to remove it?

Heat gun. Propane torch is faster. Acetylene-oxygen if you're really in a
hurry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 6, 12:50 pm, "Les" wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

The cyanoacrylate (super glue) makers also market a remover, whch is
pure acetone. Worth a try.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

seriously today fingernail polish remover isnt heavy in acetone like
it used to be. safety issues

use pure acetone from hardware store, or super glue remover, acetone
will be cheaper........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 12:50 pm, "Les" wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Nothing. Use gloves next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 6, 12:50 pm, "Les" wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue
on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Nothing. Use gloves next time.

Ya gotta get real nail polish remover, not the enviro-friendly citrus-base
stuff. Look for 'acetone' on the label. The dirt-cheap generic hair spray
works pretty well, too- I used to keep a can around to use as solvent. I
find Goop or similar hand cleanser works pretty well, if you scrub a little-
once it gets under one edge of the clump, the glue seems to lose its grip.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
news
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue
on one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried
nail polish remover and it did not work)

I just Have to tell you a story about me and superglue Les. It was on a
weekend evening and my wife was on night shift...I had nothing to do on a
Friday night (no kids etc)so went into the basement and buried myself into
building this radio controlled aircraft that I was about half way through. I
had all the amenities in the basement..IE:...a TV with the movie channel
happening, the phone close by, and a bottle of skotch. I had gotten to the
part in the directions when "superglue" had to be used so I pulled out the
new bottle. I stuck a pin in it like it instructed to open it for the first
time... It squirted out as I was holding too much hand pressure to the Bulb
part of the container. I looked around to see where it landed but couldn't
find it. By this time I had half a quart of skotch into me and was busy
gluing stuff together when all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in my right
foot. I had glued my foot to the floor right through my socks. My foot had
stood on the spot where the superglue exited when I opened it a few minutes
before...I had an exacto knife and managed to spatula my foot off the floor,
but then had my sock glued to my foot about the area of a quarter. I had to
turn the sock inside out and cut the sock away from my foot leaving the
fabric stuck to my foot. After several times with sandpaper and about three
weeks time, the sock fabric wore off my right foot. I swear to God this is
the truth and every time I fly that plane I think of how I glued my foot to
the floor. Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

I've used superglue/CA in the shop to close deep cuts when a band-aid is
inconvenient or n/a. It doesn't seem to hold long enough as I'd like
when used in this fashion - like overnight, & I have to re-apply. It
does work well, though if you can seal off the blood flow. It saved me
from stitches once.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimi wrote:
swear to God this is the truth and every time I fly that plane I
think of how I glued my foot to the floor.

Good thing the container didn't land in your lap...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Wait for the skin to fall off, as it will in a couple of days.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:25:26 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jimi wrote:
swear to God this is the truth and every time I fly that plane I
think of how I glued my foot to the floor.

Good thing the container didn't land in your lap...

THAT needs surgery.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

Nail polish remover.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:44:56 -0400, trainfan1
wrote:

Les wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

I've used superglue/CA in the shop to close deep cuts when a band-aid is
inconvenient or n/a. It doesn't seem to hold long enough as I'd like
when used in this fashion - like overnight, & I have to re-apply. It
does work well, though if you can seal off the blood flow. It saved me
from stitches once.

I think I have oily skin. I've never even been able to glue my
fingers together.

Your story reminds me.

One time, in my sleep, I stuck my fist through the window next to the
bed.

I was visiting my parents, and my mother heard the breaking glass and
came in and said What's wrong. I said, Nothing, go back to sleep.

Then she turned the light on and there was glass and blood all over
the bed. And I think I saw blood spurting about 5 inches from my
wrist.

My first reaction was to grab it with my other hand and put my thumb
on the spurt. I got up and went to the kitchend and sat that way
for a while, and my mother kept suggesting we go to the hospital. I
hate the though of stitches, had never had any then, and I just kept
my thumb on my wrist for about 3 hours. When I finally took it off,
it wasn't bleeding, so I went back to bed. I think I saw it spurting,
and but I'm not 100% sure. I also think there is a scar there but it's
little and hard to tell.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trainfan1 wrote:

Les wrote:
Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on
one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail
polish remover and it did not work)

I've used superglue/CA in the shop to close deep cuts when a band-aid is
inconvenient or n/a. It doesn't seem to hold long enough as I'd like
when used in this fashion - like overnight, & I have to re-apply. It
does work well, though if you can seal off the blood flow. It saved me
from stitches once.

Rob

boy, I wish I knew of that when years ago I went to the E.R. for 5
stitches and they sent me a bill for over $500.00 u.s.
10 minutes of their time.
talk about a rip-off.
I was ignorant enough to pay it w/o bargaining it down.
But, then you can learn from my errors.
don't forget to thank me.
G.

--

Money: What a concept?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Les wrote:
[...]

Your Mama didn't know how to call 911? Spurting blood means call the EMTs,
no matter what the victim says. Last time I did a stupid that required
stitches (just a slow leak, thankfully), I drove myself to the ER.

aem sends....

Waterproof Superglue May Be Strongest in Nature [email protected] Metalworking 3 April 18th 06 04:05 AM
FINGER JOINTS J T Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 05:23 PM
removing Superglue OG UK diy 3 January 3rd 06 12:22 AM
Superglue as stud 'n bearing fit? Jimmy UK diy 2 January 20th 05 10:31 AM
Superglue query N Cook Electronics Repair 8 December 11th 04 04:37 AM