Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brake Recommendations?

I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what I'd need, or possibly a website
tutorial for this.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 May 2008 11:10:21 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what I'd need, or possibly a website
tutorial for this.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Unless you're setting up a shop with floorspace for a heavy,
expensive machine, your best tool here would be a telephone and some
cash.

When I have had need for one or a few pieces like this, I've jigged
up flat stock with an open corner and welded the corner. Looks like a
bend, works just fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:

I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

That is a pretty hefty bend. How many of these do you need? What is the
inner radius?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:

I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

http://www.e-ci.com/loadcalc.php

This will let you figure the numbers on how much tonnage a vee die air
bending will require.

Play with the vee die opening. Small vee's require more tonnage. The vee is
going to be acute. A 90 degree die won't work due to spring back.

HTH,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 4, 8:06*pm, Wes wrote:
wrote:
I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

That is a pretty hefty bend. *How many of these do you need? *What is the
inner radius?

Wes

Oops! I forgot to ask about that.

Ok, this would not be a sharp bend, but the curve on the *outside*
would be the same as that of a 2inch ball(max.).

I'm assuming that the radius would be 1 inch and a tiny bit smaller
since the metal would only be 1/8" thick.

Also, how much easier would 72 degrees be?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:
On May 4, 8:06 pm, Wes wrote:
wrote:
I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8"
thick) mild steel lengthwise.

That is a pretty hefty bend. How many of these do you need? What is the
inner radius?

Wes

Oops! I forgot to ask about that.

Ok, this would not be a sharp bend, but the curve on the *outside*
would be the same as that of a 2inch ball(max.).

I'm assuming that the radius would be 1 inch and a tiny bit smaller
since the metal would only be 1/8" thick.

Also, how much easier would 72 degrees be?

What you now describe would be a piece of cake for a hossfeld type
bender if it was 4" wide and bending in the small direction, 6" is too
wide for the hossfeld, but you might copy the basic form in a purpose
built bender, if you are bending the 24" way some form of press brake is
about your best shot. Or cut a section out of a piece of 2" x 1/8" wall
tubing and weld it to a pair of plates.

Homemade brake Ignoramus24341 Metalworking 8 March 7th 08 03:16 PM
Finger brake vs. press brake Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 May 28th 06 04:29 PM
Mystery brake Joepy Metalworking 7 March 12th 06 01:34 AM
Air brake S cams ~Roy~ Metalworking 1 June 14th 05 12:35 PM
RFQ: Livonia, MI Brake Pad Mod UM Racer Metalworking 1 September 11th 04 06:06 AM