Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default God protects the stupid

Thanks for the reminder. We've all done similar things - or worse.

---------

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-04, SteveB toquerville wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

You are a very lucky man.

I did not have an accident today, but easily could have. I was lifting
a heavy welding machine with my truck crane. The truck was on an
incline.

As I lifted the machine, the crane started swiveling spontaneously so
that the welder machine turned into the lower direction.

Since this happened when it was an inch off the ground, I was able to
easily lower it and stop the turning. But, if that happened when it
was high above, my truck would be punished for my own negligence.

DOH!

Steve

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep.

I sent off an e-mail trying to get some permanent clamps installed on
our prototype shop drill presses earlier today, BEFORE reading your
post. Your post will get quoted in the follow up e-mails.

For the record, I am firmly in favor of the 'Vice Grip' single sided
clamps with the mounting bolt permanently fixed to the table. Just
adjust the height screw, quick squeeze, and your part is clamped down to
avoid both spinning and lifting when it goes through the back side.

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8788" wrote in message
On 2008-05-04, SteveB toquerville wrote:
[...]

Being an experienced crane operator, I can sympathize with your situation.
Just a gentle reminder for next time to level up before hoisting. Level
will always find level and plumb will always find plumb no matter what the
plans or drawings say. Glad you got off light.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

And if that happens again, hold the drill down to the table and shut
the drill press off. It will prevent the piece from flying off the
table. I've that happen lots of times and holding the piece down on
the table with the drill has become second nature.
Sure is dangerous though. I ought to quit doing that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
And if that happens again, hold the drill down to the table and shut
the drill press off. It will prevent the piece from flying off the
table. I've that happen lots of times and holding the piece down on
the table with the drill has become second nature.
Sure is dangerous though. I ought to quit doing that.

If it's all the same to you, the next time I drill a 5# or better piece of
1/2" plate, I'll just clamp it down and keep my fingers and hands out of it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 May 2008 18:07:21 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas
wrote:

Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Thinks to self:-

Thanks for the reminder. I must get a telescopic pendulum safety switch for
the drill press.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Thinks to self:-

Thanks for the reminder. I must get a telescopic pendulum safety switch for
the drill press.

Mark Rand
RTFM

A foot switch on a drill press makes a great deal of sense. I just
picked up another VFD from Ebay, and this one is going on my big
Rockwell/Delta 1hp drill press, with a foot switch hooked to "run"

That drill press WILL hurt you if one hangs a bit, with its 3MT
spindle taper and that 1hp motor

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

In my younger years, I took enough shortcuts to realize that I can't take
shortcuts. The trick is not getting too banged up learning or even better
not learning it the hard way and doing it right from the start.

Some learn by watching, some by reading, some just got to pee on the
electric fence for themselves

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was reaming a hole with my DeWalt 18v. drill today when it caught a burr
and just about hurt me. Those dang things with moving parts and torque have
no respect for soft old flesh.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

A foot switch on a drill press makes a great deal of sense. I just
picked up another VFD from Ebay, and this one is going on my big
Rockwell/Delta 1hp drill press, with a foot switch hooked to "run"

That was the first thing I did to my drill press, after assembling
it. I left the existing motor switch, wired as a master switch, so that
some idiot visiting the shop doesn't play with the drill press. I get a
lot of company who shouldn't get within 50 feet of any power tool.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 3, 10:07 pm, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:
[...]

Sometimes I'm a bit lazy on the clamp-down, and of course a clamped
piece can sometimes get loose.

Keeping the drill pushed down was good advice, but am I the only one
that keeps the belts somewhat loose so the belt just slips when this
happens?

Its easy to set the belt tight enough that it doesn't slip normally,
but only slips once the bit grabs. Then, since kinetic friction is
less than static friction, it easily keeps slipping until I can get
the drill shut off.
This is useful even when doing everything 'right' and the drill grabs.

Or maybe I'm the only one with a belt-drive drill press?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole.

Besides the obvious clamping issue, you'll want
to keep your pilot hole diameter not much bigger
than the size of the non-cutting tip of your
final hole.

The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Just be aware, the clamp will pull the plate just a little bit! Enough
to make the drill miss the center you so carefully marked and punched.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Just be aware, the clamp will pull the plate just a little bit! Enough
to make the drill miss the center you so carefully marked and punched.

Paul

Unless, I guess, the clamp pivot, the point where the clamp contacts
the work, and the top of the work are all approx. in a line.

Dave