Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default God protects the stupid

On May 5, 2:55 pm, " wrote:
On May 3, 10:53 pm, RoyJ wrote:

Yep.

I sent off an e-mail trying to get some permanent clamps installed on
our prototype shop drill presses earlier today, BEFORE reading your
post. Your post will get quoted in the follow up e-mails.

For the record, I am firmly in favor of the 'Vice Grip' single sided
clamps with the mounting bolt permanently fixed to the table. Just
adjust the height screw, quick squeeze, and your part is clamped down to
avoid both spinning and lifting when it goes through the back side.

SteveB wrote:
Today, I was drilling a 1/4" pilot hole in a 1/2" plate. Going to drill a
1/2" final hole. The plate was about 6 x 9". I did not clamp it to the
base. The drill caught the plate and began spinning it. I just jumped
back. The more it spun, the more it became out of balance, and it finally
snapped before I could reach in and hit the switch. It went flying, but
didn't do any damage. Broken drill bit was all.

Accidents happen when we are doing the most mundane common tasks, and do not
observe the MOST COMMON safety precautions.

DOH!

Steve

Just be aware, the clamp will pull the plate just a little bit! Enough
to make the drill miss the center you so carefully marked and punched.

Paul

Unless, I guess, the clamp pivot, the point where the clamp contacts
the work, and the top of the work are all approx. in a line.

Dave