Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DOM tubing, spec sizes vs "real world" dimensions

hi guys

anybody tried pressing in 'off the shelf' bronze bushings into the ends
of DOM steel tube?

or does anybody know what the typical ID (and OD) tolerances of DOM
steel tube are? I need some that hopefully has a 1.375 OD (OD not real
critical) and an ID that's as close to 1.125 as possible (I need to
press-fit 1.000 ID bushings into each end). not wanting to 'hire out'
lathe work or honing for this fitup, if possible...

I can 'move up' to 1.500 OD, if it'd help the ID tolerance closeness any
(but I kinda doubt it would)

thanks for your real-world experience and sharing the info :-)

toolie

- -
replies to this post by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff
from my address before clicking 'send' - thanks :-)
- -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 4:39*pm, dave wrote:
hi guys

anybody tried pressing in 'off the shelf' bronze bushings into the ends
of DOM steel tube?

or does anybody know what the typical ID (and OD) tolerances of DOM
steel tube are? I need some that hopefully has a 1.375 OD (OD not real
critical) and an ID that's as close to 1.125 as possible (I need to
press-fit 1.000 ID bushings into each end). not wanting to 'hire out'
lathe work or honing for this fitup, if possible...

I can 'move up' to 1.500 OD, if it'd help the ID tolerance closeness any
(but I kinda doubt it would)

thanks for your real-world experience and sharing the info :-)

toolie

I think you're SOL without a lathe. I just measured a piece of 4130
DOM tubing from Aircraft Spruce as out of round by 0.01". A thin-
walled bushing pressed into it will also be out of round and its ID
will compress an unknown amount that depends on the press fit.
The larger tubing and a flanged bushing should make the ID hold size
and roundness better. OTOH a lathe that can pass 1.5" tubing through
the spindle will be large and expensive.
See the Designer From Hell thread. Inexperience is much more common
than the malicious intent suggested. One sign is expecting 3-decimal-
place accuracy without a tolerance spec from common structural
materials.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:39:56 -0400, dave
wrote:

hi guys

anybody tried pressing in 'off the shelf' bronze bushings into the ends
of DOM steel tube?

or does anybody know what the typical ID (and OD) tolerances of DOM
steel tube are? I need some that hopefully has a 1.375 OD (OD not real
critical) and an ID that's as close to 1.125 as possible (I need to
press-fit 1.000 ID bushings into each end). not wanting to 'hire out'
lathe work or honing for this fitup, if possible...

I can 'move up' to 1.500 OD, if it'd help the ID tolerance closeness any
(but I kinda doubt it would)

thanks for your real-world experience and sharing the info :-)

toolie

- -
replies to this post by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff
from my address before clicking 'send' - thanks :-)
- -

As a general statement, pressed in bushings are reamed to size after
installation. Installing pre-made bushings in commercial tubing would
require that the I.D. of the bushings be a rather loose fit on the
shaft as commercial tubing is not that accurately sized.

What clearance are you planning between the bushing and the shaft? If
it is loose enough it might work.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to consider using epoxy or one of the anaerobic adhesives
(Loctite) to retain the bushings instead of a press fit.

Don Young