Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Identifying axle

Is there a way to identify the pundage rating on one? I am going to an
auction and saw they have one with the bubs and everythign on it. The
spring centers are 6 feet. But how can I tell the poundage and if it
is designed for springs over/under the axle?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:43:56 -0700, stryped wrote:

Is there a way to identify the pundage rating on one? I am going to an
auction and saw they have one with the bubs and everythign on it. The
spring centers are 6 feet. But how can I tell the poundage and if it is
designed for springs over/under the axle?

You could make a guess at the loading by looking at the construction and
bearings, I suppose. The wheel mounting would also give a general clue.

If it's a trailer axle the springs going over/under probably don't
matter, unless you end up with hydraulic brakes dripping fluid everywhere.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:43:56 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

Is there a way to identify the pundage rating on one? I am going to an
auction and saw they have one with the bubs and everythign on it. The
spring centers are 6 feet. But how can I tell the poundage and if it
is designed for springs over/under the axle?

If it's a mass produced axle it will have a tag with name and model.
Perhaps even a production date and serial number, too. Look at the
ends near the spring perches, sometimes it's a little 1"X2" stamped
steel tag held on with baling wire, then painted black with the rest
of the axle.

For design clues, get a copy of the Dexter Axle catalog, or another
mass producer. Once you know the design details you can identify
them, even if someone else made the one you are investigating. It's
not rocket science, they all crib engineering cues off each other.

If it's a 5-lug or 6-lug hub it will be a 2000# or 3500# most
likely. If it's a 8-lug hub it could be 3500# to 6000#. The hubs and
bearings used will tell the tale.

I can't guess at more than that - do your homework and follow your
gut instincts. And know what the axle is supposed to cost new,
because auctions sometimes bid stuff up to ridiculous prices for the
thrill - and after the gavel drops and you won, you realize you could
have ordered two new axles (with the spring kits and hangers and a
warranty) for what you paid for one AS-IS. (Too late.)

When the price approaches ~75% of new, STOP BIDDING - let some other
fool who doesn't know what it's worth (and where to buy it any day)
get suckered by the auctioneer.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:50*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:43:56 -0700, stryped wrote:
Is there a way to identify the pundage rating on one? I am going to an
auction and saw they have one with the bubs and everythign on it. The
spring centers are 6 feet. But how can I tell the poundage and if it is
designed for springs over/under the axle?

You could make a guess at the loading by looking at the construction and
bearings, I suppose. *The wheel mounting would also give a general clue.

If it's a trailer axle the springs going over/under probably don't
matter, unless you end up with hydraulic brakes dripping fluid everywhere.

--
Tim Wescott
Control systems and communications consultinghttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Elsevier/Newnes,http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

I thought that an axle with springs under it would make the ride
height of the trailer lower? Wouldn't it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Update: I did not buy it for 2 reasons: 1. I found out the axle was on
a trailer hauling a pontoon boat that had been rear ended, 2. The
price went to 70 bucks. I can get a new axle locally with hubs and
springs for 100.

It was a disappointing day at the auction. Did not get the disc for my
8n. There was a dual axle trailer there that went cheap enough and I
almost bid on it but I chickened out. It went for only 375, but was
made with trailer axles which I dont mind but the thing was 2inch
square tubing and looked like it was warped or twisted. I guess I just
chickened out.

So I cam ehome with nothing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I guess I just
chickened out.

Nah. You just listened to the voice. Good on ya!

--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pontoon boat mean those bearings have been under water, I'll bet. No
deal was a good deal.

Pete Stanaitis

Axle End Cap Greg Esres Home Repair 25 February 11th 17 09:44 PM
Flimsy axle stand? asalcedo UK diy 5 May 29th 06 03:41 PM
Axle Material knowone Metalworking 22 April 3rd 06 03:26 AM
cutting an axle John Hofstad-Parkhill Metalworking 14 March 1st 06 02:49 AM
Need a small trailer axle...ideas? Ronnie Metalworking 23 December 11th 04 08:14 PM