Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Identifying axle

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:43:56 -0700, stryped wrote:

Is there a way to identify the pundage rating on one? I am going to an
auction and saw they have one with the bubs and everythign on it. The
spring centers are 6 feet. But how can I tell the poundage and if it is
designed for springs over/under the axle?

You could make a guess at the loading by looking at the construction and
bearings, I suppose. The wheel mounting would also give a general clue.

If it's a trailer axle the springs going over/under probably don't
matter, unless you end up with hydraulic brakes dripping fluid everywhere.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com