Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Group Filters?

It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GoogleGroup Filters?

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
news:F4adnTvISJY6YY_VnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@internetofbe aufortcounty...
It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!

I took the advice of others on another group and set a filter to delete any
posts from gmail.com

This cleaned up most of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article F4adnTvISJY6YY_VnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@internetofbeaufo rtcounty, Al Patrick wrote:
It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!

No, it looks like *you* need a filter system on your newsreader.

http://www.nfilter.org

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your'e the one who needs filters. C'mon..
I have 30+ filters currently with Agent. The kill ratio on RCM is
about 45%
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:57:52 -0400, Al Patrick wrote:

It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al Patrick wrote:
It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!

One of my old email addresses is being used as spam "sender" address.
Most of the same crap as in the group, watches, shoes etc., the worst
part at the moment is the hundreds of bounce messages coming back
to my current box (old one is forwarded...).

Can't think of a way to stop the perhaps hundreds of robo
machines from impersonating me... ?? /mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
Your'e the one who needs filters. C'mon..
I have 30+ filters currently with Agent. The kill ratio on RCM is
about 45%
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I keep adding keywords from the subject line, plus people in the from line.
Still get stuff, but a LOT has been eliminated, and when I hit anything that
I know isn't RCM, I just use that little arrow.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-26, Al Patrick wrote:
It's beginning to look like the group needs a filter system!

And where are you going to apply this filter? Usenet is hosted
by thousands of systems around the world, and unless *all* of them
implement your filters, it won't do any good.

It is not like a web based forum, where there is a single point
at which the filter will work on all articles. :-) (Granted, it may
*look* like a web-based forum if you are accessing it through one of the
web-to-usenet gateways, of which "Google Groups" is probably the largest
example -- and the source of the most spam.

Better to run a more powerful newsreader, and set up filters of
your own -- eliminating what you find offensive or irritating.

I do just that (using slrn as a newsreader) and when I got into
the newsgroup, the number of articles drops from 328 or so at the start
to around 95 or so once the killfile and scoring have done their thing.

And you might make a big start on the offensive articles by
filtering out anything which comes from Google. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters No Way Home Repair 19 June 11th 07 06:52 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
2 AC Filters? TC Home Repair 5 April 19th 06 06:01 PM
WTD: TV SAW filters [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 October 9th 04 08:08 AM
WTB: TV SAW filters [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 21st 04 11:29 PM