Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default DIY Induction heater for shrinker endmill holders?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:41:45 -0700 (PDT), rpseguin
wrote:

I bought a number of BT40 Lyndex shrink fit endmill holders, but
cannot even come close to affording the shrink fit induction heating
system to operate them.
I'd like to use the holders, as they are really nice and well
balanced.

Soooo.... I was thinking of buying a $100 induction cooker and taking
it apart and reworking the coils to go around the endmill portion of
the holder.

It doesn't take a whole lot of heat to get the holder to open up
enough to take an endmill. I did an experiment where I used an
electric range cooktop and heated a 5/8" shrink fit endmill holder up
and then inserted a 5/8" carbide endmill. 30 seconds later, it had
really gripped it quite hard.
Opinions and ideas?

Anybody know if the coils in an induction cooker are flexible and can
be reshaped easily?

Where can you find an induction cooker for $100? I have an induction
plug-in for my JennAir, and I really like the "cooking with gas"
qualities of the device. It would be nice to have a moveable unit.

Joe

Cutting tool - endmill? R D S UK diy 8 October 17th 07 01:45 PM
Bulb/lamp holders to convert candle holders to electric? Nick UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 02:11 PM
Bug mudda endmill Koz Metalworking 6 November 1st 05 02:31 PM
metal stretcher & shrinker Bill Chernoff Metalworking 12 June 30th 05 01:11 AM
How to choose between using collets and endmill holders for mill? Pete Bergstrom Metalworking 5 May 26th 04 05:47 AM