DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DIY Induction heater for shrinker endmill holders? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/247055-re-diy-induction-heater-shrinker-endmill-holders.html)

Joe April 24th 08 02:31 PM

DIY Induction heater for shrinker endmill holders?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:41:45 -0700 (PDT), rpseguin
wrote:

I bought a number of BT40 Lyndex shrink fit endmill holders, but
cannot even come close to affording the shrink fit induction heating
system to operate them.
I'd like to use the holders, as they are really nice and well
balanced.

Soooo.... I was thinking of buying a $100 induction cooker and taking
it apart and reworking the coils to go around the endmill portion of
the holder.

It doesn't take a whole lot of heat to get the holder to open up
enough to take an endmill. I did an experiment where I used an
electric range cooktop and heated a 5/8" shrink fit endmill holder up
and then inserted a 5/8" carbide endmill. 30 seconds later, it had
really gripped it quite hard.
Opinions and ideas?

Anybody know if the coils in an induction cooker are flexible and can
be reshaped easily?

Where can you find an induction cooker for $100? I have an induction
plug-in for my JennAir, and I really like the "cooking with gas"
qualities of the device. It would be nice to have a moveable unit.

Joe