Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I clean a bearing hub with WD 40

I always wonder if it is ok to clean a dirty bearing hub, like with WD 40 or
Kerosene. Will that screw up the lubrication for the bearings?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:58:27 -0700, pmaston wrote:
I always wonder if it is ok to clean a dirty bearing hub, like with WD 40 or
Kerosene. Will that screw up the lubrication for the bearings?

WD-40 is a water displacer that leaves a gummy residue. Kerosene will
float off lots of crud and leave a bit of lubrication. So the answer is
"It depends". But WD40 is rarely a solution unless your problem is
displacing water (or lubricating cutting tools for aluminum).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pmaston wrote:

I always wonder if it is ok to clean a dirty bearing hub, like with WD
40 or Kerosene. Will that screw up the lubrication for the bearings?

I use it all the time on dirty bearings, but you'll have to re-lube them
after cleaning.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

I use it all the time on dirty bearings, but you'll have to re-lube them
after cleaning.

And in addition, do not spin the bearings with compressed air.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

And in addition, do not spin the bearings with compressed air.

.... with a finger sticking in the bore? :-)

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Jim Chandler wrote:

I use it all the time on dirty bearings, but you'll have to re-lube them
after cleaning.

And in addition, do not spin the bearings with compressed air.

Wes

I've heard that many times, what is the reasoning?
42

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 12:13 pm, "42" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

Jim Chandler wrote:

I use it all the time on dirty bearings, but you'll have to re-lube them
after cleaning.

And in addition, do not spin the bearings with compressed air.

Wes

I've heard that many times, what is the reasoning?
42

If its a typical wheel bearing, that is an inner race, the rollers/
balls, and a cage, but no outer race, if you spin the bearing with air
you can get the balls to fling out of the cage.

There was some speculation here awhile back that you could get a
complete bearing with an outer race to fail as well (other than just
damaging things from the lack of lube), don'y know if anyone nailed
that one down.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:13:14 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "42"
quickly quoth:

"Wes" wrote in message
Jim Chandler wrote:

I use it all the time on dirty bearings, but you'll have to re-lube them
after cleaning.

And in addition, do not spin the bearings with compressed air.

Wes

I've heard that many times, what is the reasoning?

If you spin it too fast and the outer land and cage can come off the
balls, it can take fingers off. I still blow 'em off, but I don't spin
'em much any more.

--
Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions
of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard that many times, what is the reasoning?

If you spin it too fast and the outer land and cage can come off the
balls, it can take fingers off. I still blow 'em off, but I don't spin
'em much any more.

--

This may be true; the other reason is that the fatigue life of rolling
element bearing is quite sensitive to surface damage and with a completely

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:51:11 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

I've heard that many times, what is the reasoning?

If you spin it too fast and the outer land and cage can come off the
balls, it can take fingers off. I still blow 'em off, but I don't spin
'em much any more.

--

This may be true; the other reason is that the fatigue life of rolling
element bearing is quite sensitive to surface damage and with a completely
unlubricated bearing spun fast this may occur; certainly if there is any
grit around when it is spinning that will be enough to create fatigue
initiation sites. Of course most ball bearings fail for other reasons than
fatigue.

To re post an item from several years back:
One of the motorcycle race engines I used to race required main
bearing changes after every race. As a result, I had a large surplus
of slightly worn, approx. 1" diameter bearings. A fairly long road
used to dead end onto another road that went in front of our house.
Our driveway was on the other side of the road. I used to spin these
bearings up with 175 psi air and release them to run down the road.

The bearings would EASILY outrun cars driving at ordinary residential
street speeds, spraying sparks all the while. When it hit a gravel or
other debris, it would jump high into the air. Which resulted in some
funny instances. Like when it chose to leap while under a car. Or
when it hops up in front of a car. Driver reaction was interesting.
I learned several things from this experience:

* This is a lot of fun.
* It is fairly hard to turn the bearing while is spinning due to
gyroscopic effect. Turning the bearing can make it seize from the
high side loading.
* When the bearing seizes up while you're holding it, the
friction heat makes a nasty burn on your fingers.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can you help me visualize what you were doing? You held the bearing by
the inner race, applied air kind of sideways, and then let go of the
bearing?

wrote:

[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:58:15 -0500, Ignoramus26128
wrote:

Can you help me visualize what you were doing? You held the bearing by
the inner race, applied air kind of sideways, and then let go of the
bearing?

I was re posting something from several years back, but yes, that
would be how it was done. You can get them up to some impressive RPMs
that way - enough to explode the outer race I'm told.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:18:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

wrote:

Can you help me visualize what you were doing? You held the bearing by
the inner race, applied air kind of sideways, and then let go of the
bearing?

I was re posting something from several years back, but yes, that
would be how it was done. You can get them up to some impressive RPMs
that way - enough to explode the outer race I'm told.

You forgot to tell them to bend over it while they spin it, Gerry.
evil grinne

--
Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions
of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar
beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always
continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of
vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of
the person with whom you are to pass your life.
-- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, 1811
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can you help me visualize what you were doing? You held the bearing by
the inner race, applied air kind of sideways, and then let go of the
bearing?

I was re posting something from several years back, but yes, that
would be how it was done. You can get them up to some impressive RPMs
that way - enough to explode the outer race I'm told.

You forgot to tell them to bend over it while they spin it, Gerry.
evil grinne

All the more reason not to do it
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

bearing help. Michael S Metalworking 6 October 25th 07 06:22 AM
Does this have a bearing on house value? dave Home Ownership 17 June 25th 06 06:20 PM
slef clean oven not hot enuf to clean [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 February 13th 06 09:51 PM
Bearing Oil Andrew Gabriel UK diy 23 November 17th 05 08:19 PM