Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need high temp fiberglass insulation

It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The
cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation
on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the bumper, where to
get some replacement?

The insulation is about 1/2" thick, has a very heavy foil on one side,
not sure if it has anything on the other side, fibers are white and
fluffy (ceramic?). The stuff is needed to protect the fiberglass bumper
from the muffler so it needs to be pretty high temp.

I've tried McMaster, westMarine.com and came up empty. What do I search
on, what do you call it, where can I get a couple square feet in a hurry?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote:
It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The
cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation
on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the bumper, where to
get some replacement?

The insulation is about 1/2" thick, has a very heavy foil on one side,
not sure if it has anything on the other side, fibers are white and
fluffy (ceramic?). The stuff is needed to protect the fiberglass bumper
from the muffler so it needs to be pretty high temp.

I've tried McMaster, westMarine.com and came up empty. What do I search
on, what do you call it, where can I get a couple square feet in a hurry?

Like this?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1832

Or this?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DEI%2D050503&N=70 0+%2D113334+115&autoview=sku

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.

Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The 2nd link was what I needed. I'd seen the first type, wasn't going to
work.

Now that I know what to look for, I should be able to get it locally.

Pete Snell wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 4:26 am, RoyJ wrote:
It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The
cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation
on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the bumper, where to
get some replacement?

The insulation is about 1/2" thick, has a very heavy foil on one side,
not sure if it has anything on the other side, fibers are white and
fluffy (ceramic?). The stuff is needed to protect the fiberglass bumper
from the muffler so it needs to be pretty high temp.

I've tried McMaster, westMarine.com and came up empty. What do I search
on, what do you call it, where can I get a couple square feet in a hurry?

If you can't find that. Look for a pottery supply company and see if
they have fiberfrax.
http://www.fiberfrax.com/
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:52:50 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

But it is supposed to snow at the track on Saturday, took all the
pressure off of the repair job. Track slicks and snow is not a great
combination.

I'll bet that combination would fill the spectator stands
though ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had to cut and edit the cockpit video from the last sprint race on
Sunday and send it off to the race stewards on Monday. They planned on
having a serious talk with the driver of the car 3 positions forward of
ours. We got off with a dinged muffler/tailpipe and a couple of 3" long
cracks in the bumper. 3 other cars weren't so lucky. Plenty of expensive
tin lying all over the track.

wrote:

But it is supposed to snow at the track on Saturday, took all the
pressure off of the repair job. Track slicks and snow is not a great
combination.

I'll bet that combination would fill the spectator stands
though ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting stuff! But I don't need THAT much heat resistance.

wrote:
On Apr 23, 4:26 am, RoyJ wrote:
It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The
cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation
on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the bumper, where to
get some replacement?

The insulation is about 1/2" thick, has a very heavy foil on one side,
not sure if it has anything on the other side, fibers are white and
fluffy (ceramic?). The stuff is needed to protect the fiberglass bumper
from the muffler so it needs to be pretty high temp.

I've tried McMaster, westMarine.com and came up empty. What do I search
on, what do you call it, where can I get a couple square feet in a hurry?

If you can't find that. Look for a pottery supply company and see if
they have fiberfrax.
http://www.fiberfrax.com/
Karl

Just remembered. We got a small piece about 1 foot square at Home
Depot or Lowes. It was for insulating wooden beams and studs when
soldering copper water pipe. Either in plumbing or by the propane/mapp
gas torches in tools.
Karl